Facebook posting now available

YIT can now post to your facebook timeline on your behalf. Login to YIT (web) and click the connect with facebook button above the map. You will then be prompted to login to facebook (if not already) and then asked to allow YIT to post to your timeline.

What does this do? Well any email, web or app updates (except automatic Iridium or app updates) sent into YIT will now automatically get posted to your Facebook timeline. This includes the first image of your updates. If no images are posted, a link to your YIT page is added so your friends and family may see where you are by visiting your map.

This is great for on passage, updates will be posted to facebook when you send in proper updates from your SSB or Iridium email.

So give it a try, click the facebook connect button on your yacht page.

The facebook connect button

Thats great, thanks Mike. Is there a way to use IFTTT to post updates from our YIT page to a blogger site?

Not at present but I just had a look and it doesn't look too difficult to integrate. I will have a play around with it and see if I can get something working and post back here with updates.

Wonderful. Just activated the FB feature this morning. Also in that area of the web page there is a "54 days left" note. What is that?

Facebook only allows 60 days of automatic posting to your wall, after that you need to reclick the button. So occasionally click (clears out your facebook authorising token) the stop button, then click it again to renew for another 60 days. I'll have to update the counter to 60 instead of the 54 at present.

thanks Mike. So under yacht information, at the bottom where it asks for FB token and date of the token, do we still need to complete that, or should be skip that step?

Unfortunately facebook posting is broken at the moment. I need to rebuild it after Facebook have changed their interaction after their data breach. The YIT interface no longer works. I should have it fixed in a week or so.

Category: