Tue Feb 13 17:39 2018 NZDT
Run: 25.1nm (45.4km)
Weather: Low cloud all day, just starting raining ...... again
Left Kawau with 15kt nor'esterly forecast. All the sails up and poled out. Quite flat water but 33 knots thru Tiri channel was not quite what we were bargaining on. Speedy arrival into Issy Bay tucked between Rangitoto and Motutapu. No coke for skipper to have with his rum, no fruit or veg left. Definitely time to find a supermarket.
Mon Feb 12 18:35 2018 NZDT
Run: 34.4nm (62.3km)
Weather: Very weird weather.
Back at Kawau Island. We have rejoined civilisation after our sojourn at Great Barrier sitting out storms. That would have to be the worst spell of weather we have have for a very long time. Winds were back down to 10 - 15 knots today, and although heavy showers and thunderstorms were forecast it looked ok so we made a run for it. No rain or storms but we got heavy fog for a couple of hours, seriously - what is going on with our summer? Anyway tucked back up in Bon Accord Harbour and we were going to treat ourselves dinner at the Boat Club but we caught a good sized fish underway so that's dinner tonight.
Fri Feb 9 10:59 2018 NZDT
Run: 2.3nm (4.2km)
Weather: Dreadful! Had 48 hours of very strong catabatic winds, now easing and raining
Karaka Bay, Port Abercrombie, Great Barrier Island. Came here 2 days ago after a short stop at the grocery store in Fitzroy as the ferry was supposed to have delivered fresh supplies. Well it was a public holiday on Tuesday so the ferry didn't come Wednesday, and was possibly going to be cancelled yesterday dye to 50 knot gusts forecast in the Colville Channel. Feeling like we are back in the islands, digging around in the cupboards for bright ideas. Weather has been very blustery for 2 days, calming now and it's been raining and cooler since last night. Guess we are paying for it being such fabulous weather in December, February not shaping up well at all.
Mon Feb 5 16:34 2018 NZDT
Run: 0.7nm (1.3km)
Weather: GREAT BARRIER ISLAND. Suns out again after another spell of inclement weather
Finally off the boat today before cabin fever set in! Ashore to Port Fitzroy. Boating Club for lattes then 1hr 30 min serious uphill hike to Rocky Lookout, returned to Boat Club for lunch (wasnt that great timing), grabbed a few provisions from the very meager selection at the store. Once back to Balvenie we moved to the next bay 1 mile away, starting point for the full day hike up Mt Hobson tomorrow
Fri Feb 2 20:37 2018 NZDT
Run: 33.9nm (61.4km)
Weather: Cool after the storm but suns back out.
A rather sporty and speedy sail across from Kawau to Rarohara Bay in Port Fitzroy on Great Barrier Island. Looking forward to doing all the walks here over the next few days. Weather a bit changeable until summer returns.
Mon Jan 29 10:27 2018 NZDT
Run: 7.7nm (13.9km)
Weather: Not a cloud to be seen, about 15 knot nor'easter
Came back up to Kawau yesterday for the Anniversary Weekend Bash. Forgot how many people we know own boats here. Our social schedule has been very hectic and shows no signs of slowing down. Having fun in the sun.
Tue Jan 23 0:00 2018 NZDT
Run: 28.8nm (52.1km)
Weather: Calm conditions, idea for anchoring at St Heliers in Auckland
A few days of perfect conditions made us revise our plans. A pleasant sail in very light conditions saw us head south to Auckland. We anchored off our home beach at St Heliers Bay, surprised my Mum for her birthday AND on the 24th in a moderate seabreeze powered up the harbour to the Harbour Bridge and finally returned to where we started our circumnavigation. ITS OFFICIALLY DONE
Sat Jan 20 17:55 2018 NZDT
Run: 44.5nm (80.5km)
Weather: Sunny again after 4 ikky days
Great sail south back into the Hauraki Gulf from Whangarei, 10 to 12 on the beam, gentle swell, sun shining and we caught a fish. Does it get any better? Anchor down in Stockyard Bay, Bon Accord Harbour, Kawau Island. Last here 14 years ago to the day.
Thu Jan 18 12:13 2018 NZDT
Run: 0.5nm (0.9km)
Weather: Strong NE blowing
Moved again, McKenzie Bay was sheltered but was copping incredible bullets down the hillside, peaked at 46knots as we were upping anchor to move into Taurikura Bay. Although gradient wind in here is around 20 knots plus we are not getting the bullets as much. Raining today.
Sun Jan 14 18:46 2018 NZDT
Run: 35.4nm (64.1km)
Weather: 80% cloud cover, can't complain it's been a stunning spell
Tucked up with anout 18 others in Urquharts Bay at the mouth of the Whangarei Harbour entrance. Bit of a mixed bag coming down but only motored 10 mins out of 9 hours. Whangarei Heads look just like French Poly, this is a great coastline that we are finally exploring. Raced French Curve - they won just , Bugger!, they didn't get becalmed when we did!
Sun Jan 7 11:23 2018 NZDT
Run: 2.5nm (4.5km)
Weather: Suns out again, yippee
Sat out that very nasty weather system in the marina. Now we have started our summer of cruising, made the move 3 miles to Pomare Bay! Looking forward to the weather perking up again for a long hot summer. Off to do our favorite Russell Flagstaff hike via all the bush walk side trips
No blogs available for this yacht.