Cable's Length II
Arrived safely Marsden Cove Whangarei 3:00 AM. Just docked and its starting to rain. Great timing. 1237 miles 160 hours from Savusavu. Good trip overall. All is fine on board.
Update at 1:30 pm local time. We are heading for Marsden Cove as originally planned. ETA MArsden 2:00 am. Wind has dropped and sea has moderated with very little swell. Motor sailing. Everything is fine on board.
Only 164 miles says it all. Wind has been NNW, N, NNE in rain bands through the night. A few Jibes but frustrating sailing. Motor sailing at present to maintain distance. We are likely to drop into Opua, do our clearance and wait for a small depression to clear before making our way down to Whangarei rather than battle possible head winds. ETA Opua Monday evening. Everything is fine on board.
Another good day until midnight, then the wind dropped out. (203 miles) Currently slow going at 6 kts in 12 kts of wind. Another clear night full of stars. Love night passages when the sky is like this. ETA now looking like Monday evening. Everything is fine on board.
Wind finally moved east. Sea is down a bit and a very comfortable sail over night (207 miles). Must be getting closer ... jumpers are on. Everything is fine on board.
Reefed down in anticipation of stronger winds that didn't eventuate. Hence a slower (182 miles) but comfortable night. First clear but cold night. Everything is fine on board.
Wind has steadily pick up during the night. Shortened sail twice to slow down. 232 miles in 24 hours. Other than being a little bouncy everything is fine on board.
Rounded Viti Levu and heading through Kandavu Passage. Accelerated winds to 28 Knts and inconsistent seas due to the effect of Viti Levu. Slowed down to ease the ride but it should short itself out as we pass Kandavu. Quiet other than a couple of fishing boats. 118 miles complete 1100 to go. All good onboard.
Departed Savusavu 10:00 AM for Whangarei. ETA Tuesday 18 September. It will be a slow start (but at least we are sailing) with a very tight sail down the Koro Sea. Very little swell and sea so its a very comfortable start. No issues and all well on board.
Arrived Lautoka 4:00 AM SATURDAY morning. Apologies for not updating YIT. We had notified customs for a Saturday clearance but we didn't know that last Friday was a public holiday making it a long weekend. All agencies were short staffed as a result but it was compounded by the arrival of a cruise ship in Denarau, coincidently at the same time 4:00am. Consequently we weren't cleared until 6:30 PM. We have now been to the market and Vodafone so we are back on the air. Russell has arrived and is onboard. Very windy today so we will head off tomorrow morning. All good onboard.
Wind and boat speed almost unchanged for over 12 hours. A few squalls and a shower last night. Swell is probably under 2m but the wind has pushed up the sea. 100% cloud cover. 130 miles to Navula passage so we'll arrive early hours Saturday. All good onboard. Now for one of lifes little mysteries. We have a 'Windex' on the top of our mast (like most yachts). For those at home, its a small plastic pointer 300mm long, two small aluminum wires holding a bit of reflector tape. Just sits up there to tell you which way the wind is blowing. Weighs nothing. Our mast is 22m off the deck. Well yesterday morning I found the Windex sitting on the side deck (which is not much wider than the Windex) by the saloon window. In these condition ... the little guy wasn't ready to leave us. We are all fine.
A good 24 hours sailing. Wind and sea behind us so a good ride. Swell has dropped to 2m. Mostly clear skies but a couple for nasty squalls during the night. Wind dropped off a few hours ago. ETA now Saturday AM. All good onboard.
A consistent breeze and finally making good time (almost) in the right direction. Having to jibe with a SSW wind. Great little sail with a 2m SSE following sea. Clear skies. We'll know today when the winds turns SSE whether we have made up enough time for a Friday arrival or if it goes out to Saturday. All good onboard.
At 6:00am LT 514 nm elapsed 595 nm remaining. Clear skies. A mixed bag of conditions with periods of 12knt winds, no wind prior to squally rain, followed by 3 hours of 24 knt winds and now we're back 12/14knts. Great sailing at 10knts plus after the squalls in low sea conditions. Great photos of being ringed by rain and magnificent cloud formations. All good onboard.
Good to be sailing after two slow days of no wind! 374 nm elapsed 714 nm remaining. Clear skies. Some pockets of rain over night. All good onboard.
Motoring! 263 nm elapsed 872 nm remaining. Slow progress. Still hopeful for a Friday arrival Lautoka. Not quite as cold as last night so we must be heading in the right direction. All good onboard.
At 6:00am. Light winds 10 to 12 kts S to SSE all day and through the night. Awkward angle so having to jibe while motor sailing. All good onboard.
Arrived Whangarei. Motored off and on during the day in light wind but had a terrific sail to end the passage late afternoon and evening down to Whangarei Heads. Arrived Marsden Cove Midnight No issues and all good on board. Two days to haul and prep then off to Melbourne. Thank you David and Patricia. Love listening to you guys in the morning. And David ... Off to wait the arrival of our newest little future tax payer ... See you next season. Regards Ian & Suzanne.
Motoring in lighter than anticipated wind. Will arrive Marsden Cove Whangarei tonight. 90 miles to go. No issues and all good on board.
Steady night. Completed the zig and now the zag and heading for home. Not quite a straight line to Whangarei but near enough. 230 miles to go. No issues and all good on board.
Southerly winds all night 24 to 30. Slowed for comfort. Starting to moderate. Southerly has dropped the temperature. Blankets are on. No issues and all good on board.
Winds picked up with a brief shower of rain as we approach the first front. No issues and all good on board.
Slow night. Wind dropped to 12 kts NE ahead of the front tonight. So has the temperature. Its now officially cold and the jumpers are on Patricia. You are right about returning this time of the year. We have a very good reason ... Our youngest daughter is blessing us with another grandchild. Melbourne 8 October give or take. So its worth it. All good on board.
Good steady wind all night. Starting to swing E. Completed 477 miles. 826 remaining. ETA Saturday 30 September. Thank you Patricia & David. Love your work. All good on board.
Wind dropped out over night.Currently motor sailing. Completed 286 miles Av 6.7kts. 1017 remaining. ETA Saturday 30 September.
Good night after a slow run down to Navula Passage. Completed 127 miles Av 6.7kts. 1178 remaining. ETA Saturday 30 September.
Hello Patricia and David. We are back on the air. Anchored Lautoka. Departing for NZ Whangarei today. ETA Saturday 30 September.
Arrived safely Savusavu 12:15 PM Friday. All good. Ian & Sue
Position at 4:45am. 36 miles to Savusavu. Wind has just dropped 8/10 kts ENE. A motor sail to complete the trip from Minerva. Otherwise a very good sail. Barometer 1013. ETA Savusavu late morning. All good. Ian & Sue
Position at 4:45am. 100% cloud cover. Wind has dropped slightly to 18kts SE. Barometer 1015. ETA Savusavu remains Friday am. 175 miles to go. All good. Ian & Sue
Position at 4:15am. Departed Minerva 12:00pm yesterday (Tuesday). Clear skies overhead. Consistent 18/20kt wind SSE/SE since departure. A little squally to 26kts around midnight. Barometer 1016. ETA Savusavu Friday am Ian & Sue
Still in North Minerva :) Ian & Sue
Still in Minerva maybe leaving Monday or Tuesday...Crayfish and company too good... Ian & Sue
Arrived safely North Minerva. We'll advise our departure plan (when we have one) :) Likely Monday 5 June Ian & Sue
Position at 4:15 am. Change of plan. With the wind predominantly out of the north for the next three days (or so) we have diverted to North Minerva. Departure for Savusavu will be Sunday Monday when the wind backs to the south. First time in Minerva ... we may stay longer. Currently wind is 6.5 kts East, motoring 5 kts, clouded overhead in the last 2 hours, barometer 1017 ... Ian & Sue
Hello Patricia and David. Great to talk yesterday. Unfortunately we are fighting poor propagation. Position at 5:00 am. 705 miles traveled, 500 to go. Motoring (still). Wind variable 1 to 2 kts, direction unknown, no swell, oily waters, no cloud, clear sky. Barometer 1019. All good onboard. Yes it does sound like yesterdays report ... Ian & Sue
Position at 6:00 am. 420 miles traveled. Motoring (ahhhh). Wind 8kts SW, no swell clear sky. Fortunately a great spinnaker run yesterday before the wind dropped out still has our average speed at 6.3 kts. All good onboard. Ian & Sue
Position at 6:00 am. 270 miles traveled, 960 miles to go. No significant change in conditions. Slight drop in average wind speed to 12 to 14 kts and swell has moderated. Still maintaining an average speed of 6.3 kts. All good onboard. Ian & Sue
Departed Marsden Cove 11:30 am yesterday (Saturday)for Savusavu. Slow start motor sailing with light and variable winds. SSW winds through the night averaging 14 to 16 kts. Average speed from departure 6.3 kts. Position at 6:00 am. All good onboard. Ian & Sue
Good morning Patricia and David. Sorry for the delay in advising our arrival Marsden Cove. 24 hour delay by customs for clearing and no internet. But we have arrived safely. We had a very good 6 day passage. Thank you. Regards Ian & Sue
Good morning Patricia and David. Another beautiful morning and sunrise, motoring (with the sails up hoping) but no sea, no swell no cloud, no wind. Great sail yesterday and last night until the wind dropped out. 60nm to Marsden Cove so we will be in early afternoon. All good onboard thank you.
Good morning Patricia and David. Great morning, beautiful sunrise, pod of dolphins has been with us for the last 40 minutes, moderate seas. SW swell on average below 1.5 metres. All good onboard thank you.
Good morning Patricia and David. Encounted some larger swells yesterday to approx 3-4m but they have moderated overnight. The wind has dropped off so its likely to be a slow-ish day. Otherwise all good onboard thank you.
SORRY, HAVE NOW UPDATED OUR POSITION ... Good morning Patricia and David. Past West of Norfolk Island. Swell has lifted as it pushes against the bank south of Philip Island therefore seas are a little confused. All good onboard thank you.
Good morning Patricia and David. Past West of Norfolk Island. Swell has lifted as it pushes against the bank south of Philip Island therefore seas are a little confused. All good onboard thank you.
Good morning Patricia and David. Our average speed has dropped to about 7 kts overnight with lighter conditions. We will pass West of Norfolk Island before our turn to NZ. ETA Marsden Cove Thursday evening. all good onboard thank you.
Good morning Patricia and David. Departed NC midday yesterday. Great sail so far although the wind has dropped in the last hour. Both well thank you.
Hello again Patricia and David. Greetings from Ian and Sue on Cable's Length II. Currently at Ile Nge off Noumea. Departing today for Marsden Cove NZ.
Arrived Savusavu 5:00 pm Tuesday. Both well onboard.
Position at 6:00 am (Fiji) 63 miles SE Savusavu Bay. Departed Yagasa Levu (southern Lau) 11:30am yesterday. Both well onboard.
Position on Sunday 11 October. Departed Falunga Saturday midday and arrived Yagasa Levu same afternoon. 16 to 18 knts SE wind with a half metre sea (behind us) ... beautiful sail and a fish. We will be leaving Yagasa Monday midday for Savusavu with a eta of Tuesday midday 13 October. Both well onboard.
Position at 12:30 pm Sunday (Fiji local). Anchored up safely in the lagoon at Falunga. Overall a great sail from Denarau notwithstanding the light and variable winds on day 1 and then having to slow down on day 2 with a steady south east wind to coincide with the passage tide. We are likely to be here for at least a week. Both well onboard.
Position at 5:30 am Sunday (Fiji local). The south east wind has stayed with us and we have had a great sail across to Falunga from Kandavu. Currently 12 miles off with low tide at 11:40 am so we have slowed over night and will still have a short wait before heading in through the passage. Both well onboard.
Position at 5:30 am Saturday (Fiji local). Yesterday was a frustrating sailing day after a good sail down to Kandavu. Blue skies and light and variable wind until a 15 knt south easterly with light rain kicked in at 11:00 pm last night. Back to good sailing in light conditions averaging 6 knts. We are heading for Falunga (approx 114 miles off) however in a few hours we'll be off Matuku Island about half way between Kandavu and Falunga. So if the wind drops out again we may stay there for a few days. Both well onboard.
Position at 5:30 am Friday (Fiji local) Departed Denarau Thursday evening heading for Falunga (Lau) after rounding Kandavu to the south. Wind permitting otherwise we may be visiting Kandavu! Anticipate arriving Falunga 12:00 pm Sunday. Both well onboard.
all settled into Savusavu
Position at 12:30 pm Wednesday (NZ local) Arrived Savusavu in SE winds 28 to 32 knts. Clear skies. Both well onboard.
Position at 6:30 am (NZ local) SE winds 26 to 28 knts. Clear skies. Both well onboard. 55 miles to go.
Position at 6:30 am (NZ local) ENE winds 16 knots. The wind over the last 6 hours has become variable 16 to 18 Knts moving back ENE. Prior to that good sailing averaging 8 knts. clear skies. Both well onboard.
Later talking to GHR their eta savusavu is late wednesday or thursday.
Position at 6:30 am (NZ) E winds 18 knots. Only 2 rain squalls overnight otherwise clear skies. Both well onboard.
Position at 6:30 am (NZ) ENE winds 24 knots. Continual rain squalls all night. Both well onboard.
Position at 6:30 am (NZ) ENE winds 16 knots. Wind went NNE at midnight before going ENE at 3:00am. Good sail since then with localised squalls with wind gusts up to 22knts for short periods. Both well onboard.
Position at 6:30 am (NZ) Light and variable SE winds 10 to 14 knots. We get a good lift from small localised squalls or wind gusts up to 22knts for short periods. Both well onboard.
Position at 6:30 am (NZ) Light SE winds. Good sail over night averaging 9 knts until wind dropped out. Both well onboard.
Position at 6:00 am (NZ) Light N winds 8 to 10 kts. Motor sailing. All well onboard. 59 miles to go.
Position at 6:00 am (NZ) Light NE winds 12 to 14 kts over night dropping to 10 kts. All well onboard.
hmm, Lady Nada are close!
Position at 6:00 am (NZ) Strong NE winds 28 to 30 kts most of the night with an average speed of 9 kts after slowing her down. All well onboard.
Good night averaging 7.5 to 8 kts. All well onboard.
No blogs available for this yacht.