Traveled from West Virginia - actually St Clairsville, OH to home in Fairfax, VA. We made it home early enough to unload the truck and take it back. Another era is starting. First we must unpack.
Today brought us within "striking distance" of Fairfax, VA - just 287 miles. We are in St Clairesville, Ohio- part of the Wheeling WV statistical area.
Traveled from SiouxCity, IA to Peoria, IL. Will try to get together with my cousin's daughter here.
Traveled from Rapid City, SD through Sioux Falls, SD then south to Sioux City - South - in Iowa. From here it is I-80 East.
Traveled from Gillette, WY to Rapid City, SD stopping in Sturgis, SD and Mt Rushmore. Took time to see the Motorcycle Museum in Sturgis.
Drove from Billings, Mt to Gillette, Wy. Stopped at Custer Last Stand Battlefield and had lunch at 175 year old Occidental Hotel in Buffalo, WY.
Spent the whole day in Montana. We drove from Missoula to Billings. Yesterday we saw much rain, today was beautiful and clear. We crossed the Continental Divide. We saw Clark (Lewis and Clark) Fork on the west side of the divide and the headwaters of the Missouri River on the other.
Drove through three states. Went from the width of WA through Spokane, then through Idaho in the skinny part- less than 100 miles but very beautiful with the mountains and fall colors- even in the rain. We are now in Missoula, Mt.
Left Anacordes,WA with UHaul truck to drive to Va. Had dinner with Doug and Denise in Woodinville and stopped in North Bend traveling I-90 East to Va.
Arrived after a nice uneventful sail in Anacortes,WA. We are at Cap Sante Marina - very nice and new. Nice amenities like restaurants, laundry, shopping - including Safeway. We will probably be here awhile cleaning up.
In the USA. YEAH!!! A windy day. Decided to stop and check-in at Friday Harbor Wa. On to Anacordes tomorrow- we hope.
Made it to Montague Harbor in Gulf Islands. We are on a mooring ball. On to Anacordes tomorrow - weather permitting of course. Just 40 miles as the crow flies.
Arrived at Schooner Cove
Sailed from Discovery Harbor to Comox,BC on Georgia Straight. A nasty day. Less than 100 nMiles to go. Are thinking of going to Anacortes.
Sailed down Johnstone Straight toward the Seymore Narrows. Stopped for lunch at Brown Bay just at the start of straight and went through at mid tide. Are at Discovery Harbor in Campbell River. Just less than 200 nMiles to Port Townsend.
Arrived Kelsey Bay, BC, Canada Will depart for Seymour Narrows tomorrow.
Sailed over 100 nMiles yesterday to Port McNeill, BC. Off again today
Sailed today from Butedale to Klemtu. Klemtu is an Indian town with a salmon hatchery. From here it is Bella Bella and Nemu and on to Vancouver.
Arrived in Butedale. Heading from here Klemtu
Left Prince Rupert this morning and entered Grenville Channel
Sailed from Ketchikan to Prince Rupert Canada. We're able to check in over the phone. Texted Prince Rupert YC and are on their dock for the night. Did Venn Passage at twilight and dark. It was well marked.
Sailed from Meyers Chuck to Ketchikan. Are in a slip at Bat Harbor Marina. Will be here until at least Tuesday when crew member arrives back. In the meantime we plan to do a bit of sightseeing.
Sailed from Wrangell to Meyers Chuck yesterday - just 30 nMiles from Ketchican. Nice place in season but no one here now. Smallcraft advisory today so will try again to go to Ketchikan tomorrow. Doug will meet us there Monday.
Arrived yesterday in Wrangell. Next stop Ketchikan.
In Petersburg in the Marina. Will probably stay a couple of days
Tied to float in Hobart Harbor. Motored 9.5 hours with little wind. On to Petersburg tomorrow.
Left Juneau today and got to Taku Harbor on Stephens Passage
Arrived Juneau from Glacier Bay. Marilyn arrives tomorrow.
Arrived Glacier Bay late yesterday. Will continue tomorrow to Juneau where Denise will fly home and Marilyn will join the crew.
Arrived at Elfin Cove. Tied to a dock. Will continue to Glacier Bay tomorrow.
Almost to Elfin Cove
50 nMiles from Elfin Cove. Will stop and head to Glacier Bay
222 nMiles from Elfin Cove.
Finally have wind. Have decided to skip Yakatat and go straight to Elfin Cove
Left Seward yesterday afternoon headed for Yakatat / Glacier Bay
Arrived Seward and rafted up with Panta Rhei
Leaving Kodiak for Sewar. Overnight we think.
Anchored in Kodiak -- the town. Will stay a bit. next stop Seward.
Through to the other side of Kodiak Island. Just a bit to the town.
Making hard - tacking - progress toward Kodiak City. The LOW continues
Leaving Geographic Harbor for Kodiak City
Moored in Geographic Harbor Alaska. Will stay overnight at least. There is a Low over us. This place is reminiscent of Doubtful Sound in New Zealand. Spectacular and isolated~!!!
Getting Closer to Geographic harbor. Hard sailing. We caught a Low.
42 nMiles from Geographic Harbor -- 8 more hours?
Almost at Geographic harbor -- plan to arrive in the morning
Left Sand Point Yesterday. Sailing to Geographic Harbor. Should be there tomorrow.
Arriving Sand Point Alaska
Turning to go in to Sand Point
Keeping on the path
Passing from Bering Sea to pacific Ocean headed to Sand Point and Kodiak
Leaving Dutch Harbor
Arrived Dutch harbor
Arriving in Dutch Harbor.
Coming around Unalaska Penisula
Making good progress
Protected by Islands
Crossed the last area of exposure to the Pacific. Will go north east to skirt Unalaska Island to head ti Dutch Harbor. More than half way now with only 125 nMiles to go.
Left Adak for Dutch Harbor 0130 July 28
Anchored in Adak, Alaska. Will stay as short as possible and head to Dutch Harbor. Have diesel mechanic coming in the morning.
About to go through Adak Straight
90 nMiles from Adak. Be in Adak tomorrow by dusk.
Crossed the date line. Going into Bering Sea to stop at Adak. 125 nMiles to go
Wind from 35 degrees clocking E. 200 nMiles from Adak. 560 mNiles from Dutch Harbor. Still not enough west.
Making some progress
Sailing well by wind vane. Anticipating another gale. Real time 7-21 1200 UTC 500 nMiles to Adak. 800 nMiles to Dutch Harbor. Seeing AIS targets.
Finally heading East. Not much wind after the storm. Just cannot win.
Moving East slowly.
Finally making an Easterly course
Ahead of plan with lulls and bumps in the wind.
Rough overnight. Will tack NE to miss new weather
Wrong direction, but going North. Need to be north to go more East,
Reefed sails, 26 knot winds. Weak engine. 1000 miles to go. Need to go East!!!
Bright moonlight with half moon. Getting cooler. Sam wore fuzzy pants to watch.
Sailing with Jib. Good wind. Charging batteries.
Getting to Pacific High at 34N where Bob McDavitt says we should go East.
Sailing now after motoring. Saw pod of whales yesterday.
Not much wind. Motoring E.
Not much wind. Motoring E.
Older report. When motoring no report. So we are about a degree or so more north.
Making good progress. Hoping to see the Pacific High soon.
6PM local 2016-07-04
Storm to Ne. 30 nMiles S of Taongi Atoll in the Marshalls
Squall to E, wind 25K bearing to west to avoid it
Wind 14K, AWA 70Defrees True wind 100 Degrees
Anchored at Enijabro Is., Ailuk Atoll, MI
Arrived Aulik. Will check in and stay a few days. Nasty weather.
Anchored in Maloelap. Will tour Japanese Ruins tomorrow
Left Majuro for Dutch Harbor. On the way to Maloelap to deliver package and on to Ailuk
test from Majuro 5/1/2016 Departing late May
Moored in Majuro
In Majuro. Arrived early this Am anchecked in today. Our engine had overheat and we had to get towed in to our mooring we had reserved.
Slowed down due to current. Pass E of Milli atoll and turn West tonight
Day 10 from Funafiti - I think. Finally in tradewinds heading to MAjuro. 350 nmiles to go. 60 gal fuel so we are depending on the wind. Our GPS says we will be in Majuro Dec 27 now.
Day 7 from Funafiti. Still fighting NW winds. Looking for Easterlies at 2N. Praying for 10-15 K to bring us to Majurp. Fuel getting low.
Day 7 from Funafiti. Crossed the equator and are working our way to Majuro. Had Minerva lobster dinner and gave champagne to Neptune, Pictures laater.
Day 6 out of Funafuti. Who would believe there are 15 knot headwinds at the equator. They are from the NW and we are trying to get to 2N where we hear
Day 6 out of Funafuti. Who would believe there are 15 knot headwinds at the equator. They are from the NW and we are trying to get to 2N where we hear there is wind. We still have 80 gallons fuel. Hope to cross the equator today and maybe Neptune will smile.
Day 3 out of Funafuti. Hope not to have to stop in Tarawa for fuel. This is a motoring exercise. Up the road 200 miles we will see.
Day 2 out of Funafuti. Through one patch of SPCZ. 884 to Majuro and 554 to Tarawa. Motor sailing.
Left Funafuti Tuesday Dec 15. Want to go straight to Majuro
Arrived Funifiti AM yesteerday. Will check in today with Anahata. 589 nmiles.
Day 5 to Funafuti. 100 nmiles to go. Will try to enter SE pass.
Day 4 to Funafuti. 230 nmiles to go. Flew spinnaker all day yesterday. Glad to have Chris aboard.
Out of Fiji. 340 nmiles to Funafuti.
Preparingto go thru Somo Somo Strait. BBig wind and swell hsve died.
Leaving Savu Savu today.
Leaving today for Tuvalu. Have
Leaving Savu Savu today.
Arriving Savu Savu this morning. Checked in and in slip
Tied to dock
At sea lumpy
5.8 knots 253T
Leaving Apia for Fiji. Pactor radio not powered up not
Sailed from American Samoa? In the Marina. Very Hot.
Still heading to Pago Pago. Will slow a little to get there tomorrow morning. Rain last night.
Pago ETA tomorrow or next day. 15-20 knots from E and ESE. would like SE they promised. Swells confused
Aborted Lifuka in Hapai'i. Sailed directly to Vavau'u. Good souh wind. Rain and overcast. Arrived midnight Sunday. To Samoa in about a week. Gina crew is great!!!
Arrived in Tongatapu this morning at daybreak. Wind is still here but swells are not. Anchored at Big Mama.
5AM entering Tongatapu to check in. 1264nmiles from NZ 8AM Aug 1
120 miles to go to Tongatapu. Very unconfortable. SE winds 20-25 and higher gusts
leaving Minerva today but destination changed. Likely Tongatapu now!
a lovely day to explore
in N Minerva looking for an anchorage. No other boats seen.
100 nmiles from Minerva. Probably will have to wait to enter because of night.
260 miles from Minerva. Sailing close hauled. Had special meal prepated by crew when crossing the date line.
good strong radio signal now
Wind more east than expected, many squalls last night
In north flowing current. Fixed alternator issue. Trying email now. If you get this, it is fixed
lumpy, to minerva, alternator issue
on their way. Will hear them better in a couple of days when they are further away from NZ. Alternator currently caput. Dont know what alternate power source they have so radio might not be used for reporting. 3 pob and heading for Minerva
awaiting departure for points North at Opua Marina
Opua Marina Slip A5
No blogs available for this yacht.