Diverting slightly to Neah Bay which is just inside Strait of Juan de Fuca. Need fuel before proceeding the 50 more miles down to Victoria.
170 miles to go, but fog and rain in the forecast ;-(
No wind, motored all day. Nice warm weather for a change though. Caught an albacore.
Motoring through the center of the low.
Another very squally day. :-(
Windy night. 30 plus. Hit 11 knots with just double reefed main. Yow.
Saw a shark swimming along on the surface today. Maybe 8 feet.
Made it to the north side of the high. SW winds have us heading east!
Motoring since 0230 local. We are on the NW corner of the high coming over the top. Hope to see SW winds by tomorrow, then direct BC
On the west side of the high. Looking to round the top tomorrow (cross fingers)
Half squally day, half nice day. Saw a great green flash though, at sunset!
Squalls, no squalls. Nice afternoon, now the clouds coming in. Still just stuck on 60 degree wind angle heading north.
Nice day. 22 knots, blue sky, few squalls, 1.5 m sea. We're waving at our friends in San Francisco (37 degrees and change) as we pass heading north to get around the high.
Beautiful day. Finally no lightning last night and 15-18 knots with blue skies today. Did 140 nm
Still night time squall/thunderstorms. Nice day today though. The high is forming solidly up north of us. Looking forward to getting up there and "turning right".
Lightning in squalls for the second night. Yuck.
Looks like a squally night. Lots of big CBs around. Cross fingers!
Still close hauled heading due north. Hoping to get more favorable wind tomorrow. Squally, so hard to match wind and sails.
Left Oahu on Saturday, 8/8 bound for Victoria, BC. Trip plan is 2600 miles. Oh boy.
Landfall Diamond Head at 0800 local on Saturday, July 18. Now located in Ko Olina marina for three to four weeks for boat work and rest before resuming voyage to West 'Coast US
40 miles east of Hilo heading for Honolulu. Expect landfall Saturday.
60 miles to the Big Island, then another 200 miles to Honolulu. Estimate Saturday arrival if weather holds.
Another beautiful day. Ho hum.
Nice day. Squally mornings and evenings but otherwise, nice sailing.
Gorgeous day turned to rainy, squally evening.
We're in the north pacific trades, but they are coming out of the north right now! Can't wait for them to shift over to the east. Maybe in a day.
We have come out the north side of the ITCZ. We now have NE trades and are setting a course toward, but still north of HI to give us room for adjustment if the trades turn north(ish)
Rained all last night, heavy at times. Uneventful day today but spent four hours detouring around huge thunderstorm. Evening now, the squalls are forming up on the radar. 120 miles and we're out of the ITCZ!
Entered the ITCZ - what more can I say. Oh, we caught a tuna this morning before the clouds and rain closed in.
Another nice day. Yawn. ITCZ is due up soon though. ;-(
Crossed the equator last night just after midnight. Enjoyed a glass of champagne (with an ample share for Neptune), some cheese and crackers, then tossed the bottle with a note. Hey, it worked the last time!
4th of July! We made hot dogs (actually vienna sausages) and mac and cheese and are making s'mores for dessert.
Dolphin escort at 0700. Otherwise same as the day before. Warm, warm, warm and nice.
Warm day, blue sky, light wind and now full moon. We're happy aboard Charisma!
Lovely day. Not a cloud in the sky. Shower Day!
Just chugging along. 145 miles yesterday. The wind has eased a touch and we've cracked off from 60 degrees to 70 degrees on the wind, so the ride is much nicer. Very warm!
Working our way past the Tuamotus in the trades. Very warm and all the hatches are closed since we're close reaching into the waves, so stuffy down below. We have to have SOMETHING to complain about when it's so nice!
warm! 80 degrees F at 8PM. Smooth seas, nice wind, warm weather.
Left Papeete at 1230 local Tahiti time bound for Hawaii.
Arrived Papeete @ 0700 local NZ time. 22 day passage. Woo Hoo!
Landfall today with some luck with the wind, otherwise, will drift offshore and go in first light tomorrow.
squalls went away, beautiful night.
squally night and early morning. 260 NM from Tahiti, but not quite laying island.
Wind settled at 6 knots around midnight. Been sailing in fine weather and clear skies at 3-4 knots since then. Tee-shirts, shorts and flip flops baby!!
Clear and glassy smooth all night. Motoring through the high.
Got smashed yesterday eve with biggest T-Storm I've ever seen. 5 hours with lightning striking water all around. Sailed upwind and held our breath. Then after lightning stopped, got hit with 40++ knot squall. Lasted 4 hours. We hove to and are still that way waiting to catch up on a little sleep and see what morning conditions bring.
Hove to for six hours yesterday. Wind gusting high 30's on the nose and building waves. Has since moderated to 25-30 but very gusty, steep waves so just sailing (slowly) with triple reef main until this eases a bit.
Wind up and down a bit from periods of 12 knots and periods of 20. We're conservatively set for the higher bits, so going a bit slow about 50% of the time.
Nice night. Lot of stars, few clouds. Wind shift from WSW to SSW. Jibed at 0300 onto starboard tack.
Nice day yesterday. Lots of blue sky/sun. Took cockpit baths (yay!). Tonight few small squalls, stars on a nice downhill ride (for now).
Wind dropped in the evening. Jibed around 0230 local NZ to get back south of latitude 30, dropped storm sails and put up the main. Nice stars!
Very squally night. Lot of CBs. Not too tall, but pack a punch. Some lightning, but thankfully went behind us. Going very broad reach with only trysail due to gusts. Were hitting 10-11 knots earlier with the jib. Too much for a heavy boat.
Been hove to last 24 hours. Will start sailing west again after sunrise. Yesterday aft and eve winds measured at the deck were sustained 35, gusting 45. Quite a ride. ;-)
hove to but about to get moving again
Switched to storm sails yesterday at 1700 local. Close reached all night in building wind and sea and just hove to at 0600 local. Going too fast. Much more comfortable now. Peak is projected to pass around 1200 local.
Nice night, steady wind. Getting ready for tonight's low action. Clouds starting to approach from the west.
Wind shifted yesterday afternoon into the west. Light in teens until 0100 when we put in a third reef in anticipation of increasing wind which we now have. ;-) Oh, and rain :-(
Light wind presumably due to high off NZ. Motor sailing since 0200 (local NZ time) to keep speed up to get NE above Saturday's projected low.
Nice night. Sailing 55 degrees close reach. Nice day yesterday, often clear/sunny, but front came through with squall line about 1700 NZ time and it's been fairly cloudy since, although after several hours the wind calmed to where it is now.
too close to copy without a relay
Bumpy night. Jib only to control things during the squally bits. Broke the wind vane turning block. Have jury rigged for night, but will fix in daylight.
Checked out of Marsden at 1000. Heading east to Tubuai.
In Whangarei, waiting for a good window for going east to Tahiti
just outside Savusavu. yee Ha
ETA Savusavu noon Momday
lost wind last night so motored for the first time in 8 days. Picked up a little at 1800UTC this monring
yesterday close waves 3-4m. pleased to leave that behind
No blogs available for this yacht.