Gigi

Gigi

Fri Oct 13 9:16 2017 NZDT

Leaving Denarau for Momi Bay today. Great sunset last night

Tue Sep 19 0:00 2017 NZST
Run: 6.1nm (11km)

Off Denarau again. Plan is to stay a while so that we may do some varnishing. Cooler here and no mosquitoes.

Thu Aug 17 0:00 2017 NZST
Run: 14.2nm (25.7km)

Vuda Marina - will be here for a month as Karen is going to Australia for 2 weeks

Sun Aug 13 0:00 2017 NZST
Run: 11.2nm (20.3km)

Musket Cove on a mooring.

Fri Aug 11 0:00 2017 NZST
Run: 35.5nm (64.3km)

Anchored outside of Denarau. Will spend 2 nights here to allow a Nadi visit for fresh supplies from the market

Thu Aug 10 0:00 2017 NZST
Run: 28.7nm (51.9km)

Anchored off Vatia Beach Resort. Ashore for a cold drink and a walk.

Wed Aug 9 0:00 2017 NZST
Run: 10.4nm (18.8km)

Volivoli Point -first time we have taken the dingy ashore as it's usually too windy. Nice Fish & Chips and cold beers for lunch at the resort

Sun Aug 6 0:00 2017 NZST
Run: 46nm (83.3km)

Vitu Levu Bay - off Navuniivi Village which we visit each time we come to Fiji. The village was a happening place with rebuilding of homes (only 15 were left from the 72 after Cyclone Winston), repairs to the church and the installation of power poles for electrical connection to the grid.

Fri Aug 4 0:00 2017 NZST
Run: 49.1nm (88.9km)

Lovely motor/sail to Makogai. Anchored off Dalice which suffered greatly in Cyclone Winston. There is only a small number of men here rebuilding all the houses that were lost. The women and children are living in Suva. This was once one of our favourite snorkelling spots but the beach is now littered by broken coral from the cyclone.

Thu Aug 3 0:00 2017 NZST
Run: 3.7nm (6.7km)

Anchored off Cousteau's resort to enable an early start tomorrow morning

Thu Jun 22 19:51 2017 NZST
Run: 183.8nm (332.7km)
Avg: 6.8knts
24hr: 162.5nm

Day 8 NZ to Fiji - Arrived safely in Savusavu at 1600 after sailing through the southern islands with gusty conditions. In the morning there was low cloud and drizzle that reduced visibility for a number of hours. At 11.40 we decided to turn on the engine as we wanted to arrive in Savusavu in time for Customs clearance into Fiji. The timing was such that if we didn't burn some diesel we would need to spend the night sailing back and forth outside the pass as it is prohibited to anchor anywhere before customs procedures have been completed. The thought of a full night's sleep won out! Now on a mooring ball in Nakamaa Creek.

Wed Jun 21 16:42 2017 NZST
Speed: 6.0knts
Run: 192nm (347.5km)
Avg: 7.8knts
24hr: 186.2nm
Weather: 15 kts ENE, 0.5 m swell from the NE, Baro 1019.5, 50% cloud cover.

Day 7 NZ to Fiji - The wonderful sailing conditions continue. Enjoyed a clear sky last night with thousands of stars. The only disappointment was not landing the fish on my trolling line this morning. With the Islands of Totoya and Matuku now in view we feel that we are on the home straight.

Tue Jun 20 15:57 2017 NZST
Speed: 7.0knts
Run: 173.8nm (314.6km)
Avg: 7.5knts
24hr: 180.6nm
Weather: 18-25 kts NE, 2 m swell from the ENE, Baro 1019, Sunny with 20% cloud cover.

Day 6 NZ to Fiji - Great sailing with full headsail, staysail and double reefed main for the last 24 hours. All well onboard.

Mon Jun 19 16:51 2017 NZST
Speed: 5.2knts
Run: 144.9nm (262.3km)
Avg: 6knts
24hr: 144.6nm
Weather: 16-20 kts E, 2.5 m swell from the ENE, Baro 1023, 15% cloud cover.

Day 5 NZ to Fiji - Before dark last night we reduced our sails to the staysail and reefed main sail. Whilst this reduces our speed it also reduced the heel of the boat and the frequency of waves into the cockpit. We also hoped that this would eliminate the need for sail changes during the night (this wasn't the case). Due to conditions we decided that using the gas was out of the question so had a dinner of dry crackers and Tim Tams and had the evening meal for today's lunch. Lots of sleeping today as the seas and winds have eased a little. A very sunny warm day good for drying the wet weather gear from last night.

Sun Jun 18 16:48 2017 NZST
Speed: 6knts
Run: 183.4nm (332km)
Avg: 7knts
24hr: 169nm
Weather: 20-28 kts ESE, 2 m E swell from the SE, Baro 1025, 75% cloud cover.

Day 4 NZ to Fiji - There are 2 great sounds on a boat. One when the motor turns on and the second when it turns off. Just after 9pm last night we switched the engine off and enjoyed the sound of the water rushing along the hull and the whoosh of the waves breaking alongside. This morning the winds continued to build and the seas have become boisterous and weather squally.

Sat Jun 17 14:45 2017 NZST
Speed: 5.7knts
Run: 185.6nm (335.9km)
Avg: 7.1knts
24hr: 170.7nm

Day 3 NZ to Fiji - Still motoring but making good progress. Expecting winds to pick up late today.

Fri Jun 16 12:39 2017 NZST
Speed: 6.3knts
Run: 144.5nm (261.5km)
Avg: 6.8knts
24hr: 162.8nm

Day 2 NZ to Fiji - our second 24 hour period has seen the wind drop and seas flatten out. Not enough wind to keep Gigi at a respectable passage speed so we have been motoring. It has made for a comfortable ride to catch up on sleep. It was a cloudy night and although we didn't see the moon there was still plenty of light filtering through and the temperature is not as cold as it has been.

Hi Guys. You probably know this, but per Windy.com it looks like wind will go NE starting after midnight on Monday. Might help to get as much easting in now as it looks like the NE'erlies continue for duration of your trip thereafter. Sail safe. We're leaving Savusavu for Lau on Thursday. Hope to see you if you get in before then. Cheers, John & Leilani
Thu Jun 15 15:21 2017 NZST
Speed: 5 under full main and half furled head sailknts
Run: 182.7nm (330.7km)
Avg: 6.2knts
24hr: 149.7nm
Weather: 15knts SSE 1m swell from the S. Baro 1023.5 80% cloud cover.

Day 1 NZ to Fiji - a light rain shower as we passed Russell. One tack to clear Tikitiki Rock and we were out of the Bay of Islands. The wind was strong from SW and our course being NE meant that Gigi was rolling around all night and we didn't get any sleep so it's catch up today.

Wed Jun 14 10:03 2017 NZST

Take 2 - Cleared Customs this morning and on our way!

Sun Jun 11 15:50 2017 NZST
Run: 40.8nm (73.8km)

Berth G31 in Bay Of Islands Marina, Opua. Our last stop north until we check-out of NZ.

Mon Jun 5 18:40 2017 NZST
Run: 0.6nm (1.1km)

In Marsden Cove Marina. After checking out we discovered an electrical fault that has prevented our NZ departure.

Sun Jun 4 8:15 2017 NZST
Run: 57.4nm (103.9km)

Overnight sail from Gulf Harbour blew the cobwebs from Gigi and crew. We threw off the lines at quarter past five in the afternoon after the strong SE winds subsided. Motoring out of the Marina we were greeted with a lovely pink sunset which I deemed a a good omen for the passage as they say "Red sky at night is a sailors delight". Conditions were favourable with wind from the rear quarter, slight seas and a bright moon until about 2:30 am. Lovely except that it was really cold - thermals, three top layers, beanies and gloves. We sailed until we passed the first channel markers and anchored outside of Marsden Cove marina at 4:30 for a few hours sleep before our 10 am Customs clearance from New Zealand.

Where are checking in when you arrive in Fiji? We will be there to celebrate Richard's Big 65 birthday on the 28th.
Mon May 29 12:51 2017 NZST

Gigi is looking shiny and ready to go. We will look for the next weather window to leave for Fiji

About to Splash - Gulf Harbour Marina 9th May 2017

No blogs available for this yacht.