Irie II

Irie II

Tue Nov 28 22:00 2017 NZDT
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 186.7nm (337.9km)
Avg: 3.2knts
24hr: 77.3nm
Weather: 5knts ne 0.0 METER seas, 50clouds, 1027baro,

After 9 days at sea, Irie II delivered poor little Al safely to Marsen Cove Marina, YESTERDAY, where Customs and Bio-security was waiting to help themselves to all the extra food stuffs that was stored just in case it took a month to get here. Only thing broke was that freeking windvane bolt, and since the boat was constanly taking big waves over the deck I have found new leaks down below.
Before departure all vessels are required to give an estimated time of arrival to NZ. I left on the 18th and said I would arrive at 1300 on the 27th Nov. Guess what time I arrived? Too bad there is not a prize for arriving at the exact same time I said I would.
0nm to go. 1207nm travel. Rumb line 1100nm.
Everything Irie, time to dry out. Al

Sun Nov 26 12:00 2017 NZDT
Speed: 7.0knts
Run: 215.5nm (390.1km)
Avg: 7.6knts
24hr: 183.4nm
Weather: 15knts e 1.0 METER seas, 100clouds, 1022baro,

Windvane broke another mounting bolt to the pulleys for the last time - meaning I'm tired of having to repair that POS, it's out of here when I get to NZ. Will be thinking of a replacement. So hook up the bungie cords to the wheel at let the boat drive itself, until the wind switch direction. So back to the elect. auto pilot for the rest of the trip.
175nm to go.
Everything Irie, wet and salty. Al

Nearly here Al, keep,everything irie on Irie!!
Sat Nov 25 7:48 2017 NZDT
Speed: 70knts
Run: 174.7nm (316.2km)
Avg: 7.3knts
24hr: 175.1nm
Weather: 20knts ene 1.0 METER seas, 50clouds, 1022baro,

Rain last night, but not enough to wash the salt off the deck. Elec. autopilot getting error messages. Switch to windvane and it's been hanging in there in this wind all night.
350nm to go.
Everything Irie and wet and salty. Al

Fri Nov 24 7:51 2017 NZDT
Speed: 6.0knts
Run: 143.5nm (259.7km)
Avg: 5.7knts
24hr: 137.8nm
Weather: 23knts ese 2.0 METER seas, 33clouds, 1021baro,

Wind died down doing the night so full jib up. Then just before sunrise winds back to over 20kts. 497nm to go. From Fiji 698 Everything Irie and wet and salty. Al

Thu Nov 23 6:51 2017 NZDT
Speed: 3.5knts
Run: 127.3nm (230.4km)
Avg: 5.6knts
24hr: 133.7nm
Weather: 25knts ese 3.0 METER seas, 75clouds, 1018baro,

Got the wind I was hoping for, plus 10kts more. Reef main, reef staysail, waiting for it to slack down some. Big waves too. 624nm to go. Everything Irie and wet. Time to put on follies before going outside again.
Al

Wed Nov 22 8:00 2017 NZDT
Speed: 5.5knts
Run: 130.3nm (235.8km)
Avg: 5.4knts
24hr: 128.7nm
Weather: 12knts se 1.5 METER seas, 750clouds, 1014baro,

S/V Irie II still motor sailing for 4 days. Winds picking up. Maybe today is the day to sail. Just wish it was more to the east. A little north wouldn't hurt. Also look like I'm bucking a north flow current. 735nm to go. Everything Irie.
Al

Tue Nov 21 7:42 2017 NZDT
Speed: 6.0.knts
Run: 153.2nm (277.3km)
Avg: 6.1knts
24hr: 146.2nm
Weather: 8knts se 1.0 METER seas, 100clouds, 1012baro,

S/V Irie II has become a motor vessel, well at least for the last 3 days. Winds have not been over 12k since I left the pass. Mostly 5-8kts. Not a bad ride. Just not enough wind to make enough speed to beat the next low pressure system with really high winds to NZ, which is due around the 1st. Still have enough fuel to motor a few more days. Winds suppose to fill in tomorrow. 850nm to go. Everything Irie.
Al

Looks like you should be getting some wind soon. Good luck enjoy your trip.
Mon Nov 20 6:33 2017 NZDT
Speed: 5.0.knts
Run: 130.8nm (236.7km)
Avg: 5.6knts
24hr: 135nm
Weather: 5knts se 1.5 METER seas, 75clouds, 1010baro,

Motoring toward the SE so when the wind do come from the SE I can sail toward NZ. Maybe this evening. Not a bad ride, rather motor then try my new 3rd reef in the main sail. Just hope I don't have to motor all the way, don't have that much fuel. 980nm to Marsen Cove. Should arrive in 9 days. Everything irie on Irie II.
Al

Sun Nov 19 7:18 2017 NZDT
Speed: 5.0.knts
Run: 71.1nm (128.7km)
Avg: 3knts
24hr: 72.9nm
Weather: 10knts s 0.5 METER seas, 10clouds, 1009baro,

Not a bad ride, just that wind indicator at the top of the mast is pointing the way I want to go. 1040nm to Marsen Cove. Should arrive in 9-10 days.
Al

Sat Nov 18 7:54 2017 NZDT
Speed: 0.knts
Run: 6.4nm (11.6km)
Weather: 5knts s 0.2 METER seas, 90clouds, 1009baro,

Checking out of Vuda Point Marina, Fiji, later today. Next stop Marsen Cove New Zealand. Only 1100nm. Should arrive in 9-10 days.
Al

Tue Nov 14 22:05 2017 NZDT
Run: 47.2nm (85.4km)
Weather: good

Hanging out with the big boys at Port Denarau Fiji waiting on a good weather window. Will be moving over to Vuda Point to check out, maybe this weekend. Next stop NZ. Click on the pic and zoom in to be able to see that little boat. As my friend Dave would say, "Same view - different ca$h flow."

Tue Oct 17 9:28 2017 NZDT
Run: 12.6nm (22.8km)
Weather: Calm and Warm

After 21 years we returned to Somosomo village, on the island of Naviti, Fiji to visit the first female village chief of Fiji and her grandson Oscar who was one of our captain/guides on the WBSC trip of 1996. Now at 92, Adi, is one of the oldest village chiefs. She's still very active and not a single grey hair.

Sun Oct 15 8:38 2017 NZDT
Run: 29.1nm (52.7km)
Weather: Good day for a hike to the highest peak.

Anchored at the world famous filming location of the movie "Blue Lagoon." Yasawas Fiji. Last time here was 21 years ago with the Water Babies Sailing Club. Been here about a week and will be moving on later today.

Mon Oct 9 19:24 2017 NZDT
Speed: 0.knts
Run: 34.4nm (62.3km)
Weather: 15knts ne 0.5 METER seas, 50clouds, 1012baro,

Anchored off Octopus Resort, Waya Island Fiji, Al
Heading north today.

Tue Sep 19 7:18 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.knts
Run: 108.6nm (196.6km)
Weather: 5knts se 0.0 METER seas, 90clouds, 1016baro,

Arrived 5 days ago. at anchor Malolo Island, Fiji for Musket Cove Regatta.
Al

Sun Sep 10 17:09 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.knts
Run: 25.2nm (45.6km)
Weather: 5knts e 0.0 METER seas, 100clouds, 1017baro,

at anchor Namalata Bay, Kadavu Fiji. Will be leaving tomorrow for Vuda Point/Musket Cove.

Tue Sep 5 7:51 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.knts
Run: 2.1nm (3.8km)
Weather: 15knts e 0.0 METER seas, 100clouds, 1017baro,

at anchor Naqara, Ono Island, Al

Fri Sep 1 8:12 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.knts
Weather: 5knts n 0.0 METER seas, 100clouds, 1014baro,

Yesterday we arrived in the well protected anchorage off the villiage of Nabouwalu Village, Ono Island. Waiting on another weather system to pass.
Al

Thu Aug 31 22:21 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.knts
Run: 7.6nm (13.8km)
Weather: 5knts n 0.0 METER seas, 100clouds, 1014baro,

Yesterday we arrived in the well protected anchorage off the villiage of Nabouwalu Village, Ono Island. Waiting on another weather system to pass.
Al

Sun Aug 27 19:18 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.knts
Run: 89.1nm (161.3km)
Weather: 5knts s 0.0 METER seas, 100clouds, 1014baro,

Arrived in the well protected anchorage of Kavala Bay, Kadavu around noon Sunday. Now have internet and fake news but I'm still in paradise.
Al

Thu Aug 24 7:12 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.knts
Run: 105.3nm (190.6km)
Weather: 12knts s 0.0 METER seas, 100clouds, 1014baro, rain

Made it to Matuku yesterday after solo sailor worst fear. Autopilot failure. But was able to heave to in the lee of Kambara to fix loose wire. Al

Tue Aug 22 6:33 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.knts
Weather: 15knts s 1.0 METER seas, 100clouds, 1014baro,

in Namuka in the southern Lau Group. Leaving after noon for Matuku for a few days, then Kandavu, then the world famous Musket Cove Regatta. Al

Sat Aug 19 6:42 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.knts
Run: 22.8nm (41.3km)
Weather: 6knts se 0.0 METER seas, 10clouds, 1014baro,

Arrived in Namuka in the southern Lau Group late yesterday afternoon. After the next weather system or cold front on Monday or Tue. will start the track to the west. First stop Totoya then Kandavu, then the world famous Musket Cove Regatta. Al

Fri Aug 4 17:00 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.knts
Run: 128nm (231.7km)
Avg: 3.7knts
24hr: 88.8nm
Weather: 10knts s 1.0 METER seas, 10clouds, 1012baro,

Arrived in Fulanga in the southern Lau Group mid day as planned. What wasn't planned was leaving Susui mid day which meant motoring hard into no wind for the last 12 hrs to catch the tide and the other boats I've been hanging out with since leaving Savusavu. And I though the Bay of Islands was the most scenic place in Fiji, You should see this place.
Al

Thu Aug 3 6:24 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.knts
Run: 12.3nm (22.3km)
Weather: 5knts se 1.0 METER seas, 10clouds, 1012baro,

Vanua Balavu. Susui Is. Leaving this morning for Fulanga in the southern Lau Group. 110nm South of here. Winds are less then what I was hoping for but not as high as they were yesterday. Oh well nothings perfect. And about the time I get close to Fulanga the winds will be from the south. All this equals a lot of motoring in the next 24 hrs. Hoping friends are still there when we get there.
Al

Happy to see that you are both really cruising again and not just "working on the boat" like last year. Smooth sailing.
Sun Jul 30 4:03 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.knts
Run: 12.2nm (22.1km)
Weather: 15knts se 1.0 METER seas, 100clouds, 1014baro,

Vanua Balavu. 1st 3 days anchored off Susui Is. Next 2 days in Bavatu Harbor. Now in the world famous Bay of Islands. It don't get much better then this.
Al

Mon Jul 24 13:18 2017 NZST
Speed: 2.knts
Run: 16.7nm (30.2km)
Weather: 5knts ese 1.0 METER seas, 100clouds, 1014baro,

Enjoying being away from it all in Vanua Mbalavu.
Al

Sat Jul 22 6:27 2017 NZST
Speed: 2.knts
Run: 66.5nm (120.4km)
Weather: 10knts ese 1.0 METER seas, 50 clouds, 1014baro,

Took advantage on light winds to motor from Paradise Resort, Taveuni to Vanua Mbalavu.
Al

Tue Jul 18 9:57 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 41.3nm (74.8km)
Weather: 5knts s 0.0 METER seas, 100 clouds, 1016 baro,

On a Mooring, Paradise Resort, Taveuni Al

Wed Jul 12 4:18 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 3.5nm (6.3km)
Weather: 5knts E 0.0 METER seas, 100 clouds, 1013 baro,

I left Savusavu about this time last year for Vunda Point to go work on the engine/transmission. A year later I'm leaving to go to go cruising. Headed for Taveuni then the Lau Group and then Suva, etc. Engine temp. still not acting right. If you can't fix it, it ain't broken. I give up and will just have to live with the higher readings. Al

Sun Jun 25 7:39 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 82nm (148.4km)
Weather: 0knts nE 0.0 METER seas, 100 clouds, 1017 baro, rain

Made it to Savusavu on Thur, before the rain started this weekend. Engine temp. still not acting right, but not overheating. I give up and will just have to live with the higher readings. Got mailsail fitted. A few more things to fix and then off to see Fiji outter islands and get away from the big cities.

Great to see you on the move again. Excited to hear about your new adventures on the other islands. And pictures, of course!
Wed Jun 21 7:16 2017 NZST
Run: 54.9nm (99.4km)
Weather: Winds E 15knts, 80% clouds, 1015

Hope to leave Rakiraki anchorage today for Suvasuva. Tried 2 days ago, too ruff. The winds are less then 20kts this morning so maybe I and the other 3 boats can make it across Bligh Passage..

Wed Jun 14 8:15 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 7.2nm (13km)
Weather: 5knts nE 0.0 METER seas, 90 clouds, 1017 baro

Finally got engine issues under control. Time to go cruising, will be leaving Latouka VitiLevu Fiji today for Suvasuva, with several stops along the way, to join up with the rest of the bunch from NZ and get my main sail from Silhouette.

Tue May 16 7:57 2017 NZST
Run: 0.1nm (0.2km)

Irie II back in the water at Vunda Point Marina. Time to finish engine alignment and put the sails back on and go somewhere.

No blogs available for this yacht.