Ivory Moon

Ivory Moon

Wed Oct 18 13:33 2017 NZDT
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 35.3nm (63.9km)
Weather: Wind 10 - 20 knots SE and thunderstorms overnight.

Another overnighter to get out to Lizard Island, strong winds and blinding rain on the way, but here we are anchored in Watsons Bay at Lizard Island. Its very pretty.

Tue Oct 17 19:15 2017 NZDT
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 25.3nm (45.8km)
Weather: Wind 10 -15 knots SE and 20 knots this evening.

Anchored off Howick Island overnight, after a nightmarish trip out from Ninian with no jib. New halyard and jib back up this morning with help from sailing buddy Jeff - off to Lizard today.

Sun Oct 15 20:18 2017 NZDT
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 13.7nm (24.8km)
Weather: Wind 10 -15 knots SE and 20 knots this evening.

Rounded Cape Melville to anchor in Ninian Bay. Equipment breakage today - the jib halyard chafed through and the jib fell down, fortunately in the best possible conditions to recover it.

Thu Oct 12 20:06 2017 NZDT
Speed: 0knts
Run: 15.8nm (28.6km)
Weather: Sunny, windy.

This is the closest point we got to Cape Melville today - the forecast looked OK for a rounding but the wind got up to 38 knots under the Cape, we missed a tidal gate and so after a 0130 start, we are back anchored at Flinders Island.

Fri Oct 6 10:18 2017 NZDT
Speed: 0knts
Run: 58.5nm (105.9km)
Weather: Dawn - sunny.

24 hours from Morris Island, rough in the afternoon, now anchored in Flinders Group.

Wed Oct 4 10:15 2017 NZDT
Speed: 0knts
Run: 48.9nm (88.5km)
Weather: cloudy - wind SE 15 to 20 knots

Anchored off Morris Island.

Mon Oct 2 19:33 2017 NZDT
Speed: 0knts
Run: 70.2nm (127.1km)
Weather: fine - wind SE 15 to 20 knots

30 hours from Grenville to here, anchored in Lockhart River. Bright and sunny, no-one around.

Fri Sep 29 19:18 2017 NZDT
Speed: 0knts
Run: 93.8nm (169.8km)
Weather: fine - wind SE 10 to 15 knots

Anchored at Shelbourne Bay, near Cape Grenville, after 2 days and a night and a half from Possession Island.

Tue Sep 26 22:21 2017 NZDT
Speed: 0knts
Run: 8.4nm (15.2km)
Weather: fine - wind SE to 20 knots

Anchored at Possession Island - left Seisia in fair weather now waiting for tide for the next leg towards Cape Yorke.

Tue Sep 5 5:00 2017 NZST
Run: 7.8nm (14.1km)
Weather: 5 - 10 SE

Back to Seisia - a bit of a struggle as we were very slow due to the bottom and prop heavily infested with weed and soft coral. We know a crayfish diver in Seisia who is prepared to dive with his hookah gear on the boat and give us a scrub. 4 other yachts in the anchorage right now.

Mon Sep 4 5:00 2017 NZST
Run: 8nm (14.5km)
Weather: Various - with wind!

For about 2 months IM was anchored off Roko Island under the eye of the good guys of Rokopearls - thanks Jason. The crew was back in Romania as Lelia's mum was unwell, and unfortunately she died. Back on board today, back to Seisia soon for much needed boat maintenance, and food.

Wed Jun 7 14:09 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 16.9nm (30.6km)
Weather: Wind 10 - 15 knots.

Anchored in Seisia.

Wed Jun 7 0:00 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 88nm (159.3km)
Avg: 3.2knts
24hr: 76.2nm
Weather: Wind 15 - 20 knots SE all day.

Anchored in Shallow Bay.

Mon Jun 5 20:18 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 52.6nm (95.2km)
Weather: Wind 20 - 25 knots SE all day.

Turned around and making our way back to Seisia to sit for a spell - the SE wind is too hard. Anchored in Shelburne Bay.

Wed May 24 12:24 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 45.7nm (82.7km)
Weather: Wind 20 - 25 knots SE.

Yesterday we took 22 hours to move 45 miles south, and cover 75 miles while doing it. Grenville to Portland Road, where we are now anchored off the trees, and rolling in a large swell.

Sun May 21 10:57 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 8.8nm (15.9km)
Weather: Wind 15 - 20 knots SE.

Moved anchor closer to Cape Grenville, which we will wait to round until the wind drops. Forecast is not good for a few days. Rolly here, later we will try to find a quieter spot.

Fri May 19 20:18 2017 NZST
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 27.6nm (50km)
Avg: 2.8knts
24hr: 67.2nm
Weather: Wind 15 - 20 knots SSE.

Somehow the rain clouds went around us but the wind stayed all day until we anchored for the night in Shelbourne Bay at Cape Grenville. Slow progress. Peaceful here now.

Fri May 19 10:27 2017 NZST
Speed: 3.0knts
Run: 42.5nm (76.9km)
Avg: 3knts
24hr: 72.3nm
Weather: Wind 10 - 15 knots SSE.

Slow trudge through the night. Dawn has brought lots of rain clouds.

Thu May 18 20:21 2017 NZST
Speed: 3.0knts
Run: 32.2nm (58.3km)
Weather: Wind 10 knots SSE.

Left Possession Island anchorage 0500 Thursday and rounded Cape Yorke about 0900 - then the Albany Channel and onward SE. Light winds but not comfortable.

Wed May 17 13:48 2017 NZST
Speed: 0knts
Run: 8.5nm (15.4km)
Weather: Wind 15 - 20 knots SE.

Anchored off Possession Island after leaving Seisia to attempt Cape Yorke - wind gusting to 25 -27 knots even before we turned towards Albany channel so we dropped in here to wait for the lower winds forecast for Thursday.

Thu May 11 10:45 2017 NZST
Speed: 0knts
Run: 37.5nm (67.9km)
Weather: Wind 5 knots SE.

Anchored Seisia after another day of horribleness - strong currents around Crab Island dropping us to half a knot for several hours. Busy day ahead with fuelling and watering the boat by dinghy and gerry cans.

Wed May 10 10:06 2017 NZST
Speed: 0knts
Run: 65.8nm (119.1km)
Avg: 2.8knts
24hr: 67.6nm
Weather: Wind 5 knots SE.

Anchored here after another fine daysail, but a rocky bottom and an early morning SW swell put us on the road towards Seisia at 0400 this morning.

Tue May 9 10:45 2017 NZST
Speed: 0knts
Run: 32.6nm (59km)
Weather: Wind 8 -10 knots SE.

Anchored here, near Flinders Camp, after a pleasant daysail (for a change!) N from Weipa. Heading N again today towards Seisia.

Fri May 5 11:39 2017 NZST
Speed: 0knts
Run: 110nm (199.1km)
Weather: Wind 12 - 15 knots SE, sunny.

Anchored in Weipa - a tough crossing and still 150 miles short of turning round Cape Yorke. But good to have the Gulf of Carpentaria behind us.

Wed May 3 10:18 2017 NZST
Speed: 3.5knts
Run: 102.3nm (185.2km)
Avg: 4.3knts
24hr: 103.2nm
Weather: Wind 12 - 15 knots SE, sunny with rain fronts.

Rain and wind - making for the nearest piece of coast.

Tue May 2 10:30 2017 NZST
Speed: 5knts
Run: 146.2nm (264.6km)
Weather: Wind 10 - 12 knots SE, sunny with rain fronts.

On our way to Yorke Pen.

Thu Apr 27 11:33 2017 NZST
Speed: 0knts
Run: 78.3nm (141.7km)
Weather: frontal systems - rain and wind

Gove - we had hoped it would be 5 days from Darwin but the easterlies battered us to our knees and it has been almost a fortnight, along the NT coast. In the last 2 days we overnighted from Elcho Island to finish the leg to Gove in the middle of torrential rain and strong winds.

Sat Apr 22 13:18 2017 NZST
Speed: 0knts
Run: 74.1nm (134.1km)
Avg: 3.3knts
24hr: 78.2nm
Weather: Wind 10 - 12 knots SE, sunny.

Arrived Elcho Island 0930, anchored off settlement.

Fri Apr 21 14:33 2017 NZST
Speed: 4knts
Run: 21.1nm (38.2km)
Weather: Wind 10 - 12 knots SE, cloudy.

Left Liverpool River early this morning, today is good sailing off the SE breeze towards Elcho Island.

Thu Apr 20 15:06 2017 NZST
Speed: 0knts
Run: 47.9nm (86.7km)
Weather: Wind 5 - 10 knots SE, sunny.

Yesterday we had a 4 am start to butt 17 hours into a head wind and seas to anchor off the Maningrida Settlement in Liverpool River. Still here today, onward tomorrow.

Mon Apr 17 17:00 2017 NZST
Speed: 0knts
Run: 17.3nm (31.3km)
Weather: Wind 5 knots SE, sunny.

A short hop today, to anchor in King River, not a relaxing stop as its a bit of a wind funnel.

Sun Apr 16 22:15 2017 NZST
Speed: 0knts
Run: 184.8nm (334.5km)
Weather: Wind 5 knots SE, been cloudy with rain.

Anchored at Sth Goulburn Island 60 hours after leaving Darwin. Very peaceful.

Sat Mar 18 19:21 2017 NZDT
Speed: 0knts
Run: 4.9nm (8.9km)
Weather: Wind 5 knots, sunny.

Gone to Woods Inlet until Monday when the Biosecurity treatment will be completed before we go into the marina. All good - great to be back.

Sat Mar 18 13:48 2017 NZDT
Speed: 0knts
Run: 56.8nm (102.8km)
Weather: Wind 0 knots, sunny.

In Darwin, tied up to the pontoon outside Cullen Bay Marina. Have already been cleared by Border Force and Quarantine. Ghastly night getting here, the last 50 miles took about 36 hours with thunderstorms and confusing currents in the Darwin Harbour.

Fri Mar 17 14:12 2017 NZDT
Speed: 3.5knts
Run: 125.3nm (226.8km)
Avg: 5.3knts
24hr: 128nm
Weather: Wind 0 to 5 knots, sunny.

50 miles to Darwin, against the tide.

Welcome back to Australia. Pelagic is in Cairns. Graeme and Iris
Thu Mar 16 14:42 2017 NZDT
Speed: 5knts
Run: 152.3nm (275.7km)
Avg: 6.3knts
24hr: 150.1nm
Weather: Wind NW at 10 to 15 knots, cloudy.

Great days in nature - a whale just 10 metres away from the boat the other day, yesterday a big pod of orcas closely overtaking us on the way SW, we saw their steamy breath, their big dorsal fins and their white flashes as they swam n the waves, then last night a huge lightning display with the clouds lit up continuously and the occasional bolt spearing between the clouds and the sea. We steered away from that lot. 150 miles to Darwin.

Wed Mar 15 14:21 2017 NZDT
Speed: 5knts
Run: 182.5nm (330.3km)
Avg: 3.6knts
24hr: 86.4nm
Weather: Wind SW at 10 to 15 knots, overcast clearing.

Wind up this morning and sea rough - yesterday not so much but good progress due to current once we got away from Timor.

Mon Mar 13 11:39 2017 NZDT
Speed: 0knts
Run: 66.7nm (120.7km)
Avg: 3.2knts
24hr: 75.7nm
Weather: Wind light, cloudy.

Anchored at Kupang around 2200 Sunday. Fuel and water and fresh fruit to get in today, then check out.

Sun Mar 12 14:30 2017 NZDT
Speed: 4.5knts
Run: 112.9nm (204.3km)
Avg: 4.6knts
24hr: 110.6nm
Weather: Wind SW at 4 to 5 knots, cloudy.

0 wind and sea yesterday, today we've got a little wind and swell aand we are surrounded by cumulo nimbus - we might get rain later. Should be in Kupang tonight.

Sat Mar 11 14:00 2017 NZDT
Speed: 4.25knts
Run: 117.9nm (213.4km)
Weather: Wind currently N at 2 knots, generally l & v.

Left Komodo yesterday at dawn, now in the middle of the Savu Sea with little swell and l & V winds.

Mon Mar 6 22:24 2017 NZDT
Speed: 0knts
Run: 115.9nm (209.8km)
Avg: 3.5knts
24hr: 84.4nm
Weather: Hot, breeze maybe 2 knots here in the anchorage

Anchored at Komodo after a fast run of 244 miles in 48 hours from Medana Bay, helped by a current of up to 6 knots in the channel between Komodo and Flores. We have a couple of days work to do here cleaning up the boat for Oz.

Sun Mar 5 13:27 2017 NZDT
Speed: 6knts
Run: 126.3nm (228.6km)
Weather: Hot and sunny, light NE

On the move again - east towards Kupang and exit. Strong currents along the top of these islands have kept us moving fast, even with very little wind.

Mon Feb 27 1:12 2017 NZDT
Speed: tied on a buoy 0knts
Run: 156.7nm (283.6km)
Avg: 4.7knts
24hr: 112.4nm
Weather: Been hot and sunny light winds

Arrived Medana Bay this afternoon - almost 1,000 miles since Nongsa Pt 9 days ago. No problem getting fuel and water here.

Sat Feb 25 15:45 2017 NZDT
Speed: motoringknts
Run: 106nm (191.9km)
Avg: 4.4knts
24hr: 105.6nm
Weather: 4 knots SE, slight swell

Painful progress in light head winds, dodging rain squalls.

Fri Feb 24 15:39 2017 NZDT
Speed: motoringknts
Run: 95.7nm (173.2km)
Avg: 4knts
24hr: 96.9nm
Weather: 0 - 2 knots SW, glassy sea

Motoring in calm conditions. Passed Bawean Island which had been our destination but now we are pressing on for Lombok as we do not have a lot of time.

Thu Feb 23 15:57 2017 NZDT
Speed: motoringknts
Run: 99.5nm (180.1km)
Avg: 4.2knts
24hr: 101.4nm
Weather: 0 - 5 knts SW, seas .2 metre, sunny

Sailed for one hour this morning, then put the motor back on. Tipped in 60l diesel from jerry cans, always fun in a rolly boat.

Wed Feb 22 16:24 2017 NZDT
Speed: motoringknts
Run: 123nm (222.6km)
Avg: 4.9knts
24hr: 116.9nm
Weather: 0 - 5 knts SW, seas

Little wind, rain has set in

Tue Feb 21 15:09 2017 NZDT
Speed: 4 - 5 under motorknts
Run: 116.6nm (211km)
Avg: 5knts
24hr: 120.4nm
Weather: 0 - 5 knts NE, seas

No wind, rain in the morning

Mon Feb 20 15:54 2017 NZDT
Run: 129.2nm (233.9km)
Avg: 5.1knts
24hr: 122.1nm
Weather: 5 - 8 knts NE, seas

Light winds and still rolly.

Sun Feb 19 14:30 2017 NZDT
Speed: 4.5knts
Run: 121.9nm (220.6km)
Avg: 5.2knts
24hr: 125.8nm
Weather: 8 - 10 knts NE, seas 1 metre, cloudy maybe rain to come

Finally back in the southern hemisphere! On a nice reach all day, but uncomfortable pitch and roll with a confused sea. Settled down overnight. Not much speed, but we are well reefed against forecast squalls, which have not arrived yet.

Sat Feb 18 15:15 2017 NZDT
Speed: 5knts
Run: 115.6nm (209.2km)
Avg: 4.6knts
24hr: 109.2nm
Weather: 10 to 15 knts NE, seas 1 - 2 metres, cloudy maybe rain to come

On the way south, crossing the equator soon, but a bit rough for any ceremonies.

Fri Feb 17 13:51 2017 NZDT
Speed: testknts
Weather: 5knts NE, slight seas, high cloud

test

Thu Feb 16 3:31 2017 NZDT
Run: 12.9nm (23.3km)

2 days in Sekupang then out this morning for Nongsa Pt. Another horrible bash into weather along the axis of the Singapore Strait, wish we could read the weather better.

Mon Feb 13 5:00 2017 NZDT
Run: 26.8nm (48.5km)
Avg: 5.5knts
24hr: 133.1nm

Called into Senkupang on the way to Nongsa Pt, after bashing along in the Singapore Strait for 11 hours. Officers in the International Ferry Teermnal were not interested in checking us in, with our new Indonesian YachtERS documents, sending us off to Nongsa Pt to get it done.

Mon Feb 13 0:10 2017 NZDT
Run: 11nm (19.9km)

Back at anchor, preparing to cross over to Indonesia tomorrow.

Tue Feb 7 5:00 2017 NZDT
Run: 11.6nm (21km)

Tied up in Puteri Hbr Marina, 12 miles N up the Johore Strait, with a few other boats.

Mon Feb 6 5:00 2017 NZDT
Run: 431.2nm (780.5km)

Anchored between Malaysia and Singapore after a run down from Langkawi that was straightforward except for the 6 million fishing boats and cargo ships going about their business.

No blogs available for this yacht.