Katie M II

Katie M II

Sun Aug 19 18:21 2018 NZST
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 7.2nm (13km)
16 20.3S 167 45.4E
Weather: W's 09 E Baro 1008

We moved up to Banam Bay today. It is a beautiful bay protected from wind and swell in normal prevailing winds. We went ashore by dinghy and met the chief of the one village and his family. Our contact for delivering soccer jerseys and soccer balls for the Butterfly Trust is currently in Santos but we made contact with a friend who will make sure the donations get to the right place. Unfortunately the wind is going to clock around tonight and this is not the place to be in a northerly. We have therefore elected to return to Port Sandwich and let the system go through - we should be able to get back to Banam Bay on Tuesday.

Thu Aug 16 18:27 2018 NZST
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 27.4nm (49.6km)
16 26.4S 167 47.0E
Weather: W's 08 ESE Baro 1009

We saw lots of turtles - some of them very big, but the resident dugong of Lamen Bay eluded us. We have therefore moved on. We had a good sail across (15 - 19 Kts broad reaching) and we are now in Port Sandwich on Malukula Island. This is a very well protected anchorage but we will not be snorkelling for dugongs or anything else at this anchorage. The remains of slaughtered cattle were once dumped here and the guide book warns cruisers to stay clear of one or more aggresive sharks that have taken up residence here!

Tue Aug 14 17:39 2018 NZST
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 34.3nm (62.1km)
16 35.7S 168 09.8E
Weather: W's 07 SE Baro 101

We are now at Lamen Bay on Epi Island. This bay is nicely out of the wind but it has a surprising amount of roll so tonight will be a rolly night! Lamen Bay is famous for it's resident dugong. We plan to have an early morning snorkel to see if we can see him before heading to our next anchorage on Malakula Island.

Have been following your fabulous progress from Iceland, Denmark and Sweden. In Florence at end of August, then home to NZ. Hope your home is safe from fires this season.. We hear about fires in California, Sweden and Greece, but Canadian Rockies not mentioned. Say hi to the Dudong for me. Stephen and Kirsten.
Mon Aug 13 19:51 2018 NZST
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 39.3nm (71.1km)
17 03.0S 168 22.2E
Weather: W's 11 Baro 1009

We are now at Emae Island anchored on a patch of sand between the reefs. This is a very beautiful place. We had a good snorkel between the boat and the shore - lots of interesting canyons + 3 turtles. The villagers are very friendly.

Sun Aug 12 17:27 2018 NZST
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 10.2nm (18.5km)
17 36.3S 168 14.6E
Weather: W's 5 SE Baro 1008

We have now left Vila and we are on our way north. First Port of call - Havana Harbour.

Mon Aug 6 15:33 2018 NZST
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 113.5nm (205.4km)
Avg: 4.9knts
24hr: 117.4nm
17 44.3S 168 18.6E
Weather: W's 8 ESE Baro 1011

We arrived in Port Vila 10:40 a.m. after a good passage with generally good trade wind sailing except for some squally conditions in the early hours of Sunday that kept us busy up and down the reefs. Sunday afternoon and night we had strong SE winds of 18 - 27 kts that kept us barrelling along with just a deep reefed main and staysail. Currently in the Quarantine anchoring area waiting for immigration.

Sun Aug 5 16:21 2018 NZST
Speed: 6.3knts
Run: 154.6nm (279.8km)
Avg: 6.4knts
24hr: 154nm
17 58.3S 170 01.1E
Weather: W's 16 SE Baro 1012

A little bit of a frustrating night. Wind was up and down all night with squalls. Reefs were going in and out all night long. Had a light wind spell this morning and had to motor for a while. Now wind has filled in and we hope it lasts until we get to Vila. ETA late morning or midday tomorrow. All is well on board.

Sat Aug 4 16:15 2018 NZST
Speed: 6.3knts
Run: 160.7nm (290.9km)
Avg: 6.7knts
24hr: 161nm
17 58.1S 172 22.2E
Weather: W's 10.5 SSE Baro 1011

We were able to stop motoring at 1800 hours on Friday and are now sailing in pleasant light trade winds. All is well on board.

Fri Aug 3 16:18 2018 NZST
Speed: 5.9knts
Run: 133.5nm (241.6km)
Avg: 6.1knts
24hr: 146nm
18 01.5S 174 48.8E
Weather: W's 3 SW Baro 1007

We had to turn motor on at 10:00 hrs today because, as forcasted, we have a light wind day today. The forcast calls for the SE trades to come back during the night and carry us all the way to Vila. All is well on board.

Thu Aug 2 18:21 2018 NZST
Speed: 6.5knts
Run: 22.8nm (41.3km)
17 53.3S 176 50.3E
Weather: W's 18 SSE Baro 1011

We have checked out of Fiji heading to Port Vila. Good trade wind conditions at present. All is well on board.

Sat Jul 28 20:00 2018 NZST
Speed: 0knts
Run: 53.4nm (96.7km)
17 40.6S 177 06.3E
Weather: W's 15 SE Baro 1013

We have had a good trip south from Blue Lagoon. Landed a good Walu yesterday. We had a great swim with Manta Rays this morning at first light. We are currently anchored at Mana Island.

Sat Jul 21 18:54 2018 NZST
Speed: 0knts
Run: 58.2nm (105.3km)
16 56.7S 177 21.9E
Weather: W's 10 E Baro 1010

Currently at Blue Lagoon along with our friends Doreen and Ian. Had a good sail up from Manta Ray pass today in 14 - 19 Kts of E wind. Had a small fish on today but it managed to get away before we got it aboard!

Fri Jul 6 17:54 2018 NZST
Speed: 0knts
Run: 16.2nm (29.3km)
17 46.2S 177 11.2E
Weather: W's 17 E Baro 1010

Good sail over from Vuda. Good to be back in Musket Cove....even if it is a bit blustery! Kylie has a flight out on Tues so it's good to be where we can swim and snorkle.

Sat Jun 30 17:15 2018 NZST
Speed: 0knts
Run: 132.2nm (239.3km)
17 38.5S 177 23.6E
Weather: W's 7 ESE Baro 1013

We are currently at Saweni Bay. Will be going into Vuda Point in the morning.

Wed Jun 27 17:12 2018 NZST
Speed: 0knts
Run: 44.1nm (79.8km)
17 15.5S 179 21.5E
Weather: W's SE 11 Baro 12

We arrived in Viani Bay on Sunday and left Tues after two great dives on Rainbow reef. We tied to a mooring ball at Paradise Resort (Taviuni)on Tuesday night. The SE trades have picked up today and we had a great 35 nm sail to Koro with just a partially rolled Genoa. We now have this beautiful anchorage to ourselves. Our power issues continue so we are heading west instead of our original plan to go to Fulaga.

Sat Jun 23 16:27 2018 NZST
Speed: 0knts
Run: 26.3nm (47.6km)
16 43.6S 179 43.6E
Weather: W's 12 ESE Baro 1008

We are on the move again! We left Savusavu at 0700 Hrs heading up to Viani Bay. Currently anchored at Fawn harbour. It was a good sail but rainy mostly all day.

Sat Jun 9 7:21 2018 NZST
Speed: 0knts
Run: 73.4nm (132.9km)
Avg: 3.2knts
24hr: 75.9nm
16 46.7S 179 20.0E
Weather: W's 5 W Baro 1010

We are safely on a mooring bouy at Savusavu awaiting customs clearance. This trip is one for the memory books with some of everything. We used all but 4L of our fuel (100 hours) so that was more motoring than we like but we also had some great sailing - boisterous fast reaching, some hard work to windward, a wind change so fast and violent that I had to cut away a sail and finally a fast run to the barn with the wind behind us - we had it all! We are all well - the crew did great - hats off to Kylie on her first ocean passage. 1295 nm in 11.5 days minus a 2 day stop in Minerva.

Bet you’re happy with the warmth after wintry NZ. We have probably another week in Vuda and some local engine run in trips but hope to head over to Savusavu. Keep in touch. It would be great to catch up.

Well done. You deserve a slap up meal and a bathe in a hot pool.

Well done all. Glad youve arrived safe and sound. Enjoy the warmth xx

Well done! I will be in Savusavu in a few days, so hope to catch up.
Fri Jun 8 8:09 2018 NZST
Run: 76.6nm (138.6km)
Avg: 5knts
24hr: 120.6nm
17 39.8S 179 56.9E
Weather: W's 15 SE

Rough night with sudden increase in wind speed with gusts over 40 kts and a sustained period over 30 Kts - this was not on our forecast. We are all well and will be in Savusavu later tonight

So after the last rough night you will all fall asleep in the local hot springs.. Stephen
Thu Jun 7 16:54 2018 NZST
Speed: 5.1knts
Run: 52.8nm (95.6km)
Avg: 5.6knts
24hr: 135.4nm
18 38.8S 179 30.8W
Weather: W's 7 NE Baro 1008

We have kept just enough fuel to get into port (6L). We used the rest to motor sail north on Thursday night to get into some better winds. At first light this morning we raised the full main and genaker and have been ghosting along in very light air averaging about 7 kts. We have kept the boat moving and have now been rewarded with slightly more wind that will hopefully carry us in to Savusavu. It is going to be a bit slow but we will get there!

Thu Jun 7 7:32 2018 NZST
Speed: 6knts
Run: 84.4nm (152.8km)
Avg: 6.8knts
24hr: 162.8nm
19 24S 179 23W
Weather: 9ENE,

just enough fuel to use on arrival - they hope!

Wed Jun 6 19:06 2018 NZST
Speed: 4.3knts
Run: 509.1nm (921.5km)
Avg: 3.9knts
24hr: 93.9nm
20 36.6S 179 12.2W
Weather: W's 8 N Baro 1012W

We have motor sailed for a day and a half in search of the illusive SE trades. The wind is slightly more now than it has been so we are trying the Genaker - not really enough but we are rationing fuel now. It was a nice day today - very warm.

Fri Jun 1 8:56 2018 NZST
Speed: 5.3knts
Run: 160nm (289.6km)
Avg: 6.5knts
24hr: 155.2nm
27 58.3S 179 28.3W
Weather: ene15

turned the motor off an hour ago. There will be no report for a couple of days as Gulf Harbour radio has gone AWOL

Thu May 31 8:11 2018 NZST
Speed: 5.3msknts
Run: 150.6nm (272.6km)
Avg: 10.4knts
24hr: 249.3nm
29 47S 178 53E
Weather: 0 wind

via Pilgrim as radio not strong enough to reach Gulf harbour

Wed May 30 17:42 2018 NZST
Run: 321.8nm (582.5km)
31 36S 177 29E

All well on board. (report came in at 8am)

No blogs available for this yacht.