Kindred Spirit

Kindred Spirit

Mon Nov 7 17:05 2016 NZDT
Run: 90.1nm (163.1km)
Avg: 25.7knts
24hr: 617.5nm

Our position at Riverside Drive Marina

Mon Nov 7 13:35 2016 NZDT
Run: 105.6nm (191.1km)

Arrived Whangarei Friday morning, 4/11. Nice uneventful overnight sail from Opua, about 85 miles. We are berthed at Riverside Drive Marina.

Tue Nov 1 14:40 2016 NZDT
Run: 1223.8nm (2215.1km)
Avg: 4.5knts
24hr: 108.9nm

Arrived Opua Sunday evening. Last bit not so good but they are now here and will continue south to Whangarei later in the week.

Sun Oct 30 21:30 2016 NZDT
Speed: 0knts
Weather: quiet, but not so out in the ocean here. Was 20-24 kts on the nose, no matter which direction we were traveling, as we motored into Opua with the very last of our fuel.

grateful to have this passage done. No injuries, no damage, but very unpleasant. Last two days very difficult weather. Spent all night last night clawing 13 miles of southing. Not much fun. But, that's sailing, eh?

Well done you two! So glad you in safe harbour. sleep well!
Sun Oct 30 9:24 2016 NZDT
Speed: 6.5-7.0knts
Weather: south/southwest 16-27 kts; 1 meter short, choppy seas; baro 1022

beating very slowly and with great difficulty down the east coast of NA, headed for Opua, 29 nm south and an eternity away. all is well on board, tired, disgusted.

Mwah. Nearly there - hope the weather eases up for you. Best to you both Andrea and Tony
Fri Oct 28 4:48 2016 NZDT
Speed: 5.7-6.3knts
Weather: wind

all is well on board. Motor sailing, as we have been since Tuesday. Ran into strong adverse current at 30S;173.15E. Current axis basically n/s. Slowed us down 1.5-2.0 kts. Stayed in current 5 hrs hoping it would peter out. then, ran east perpendicular to axis to 173,40E and effect much diminished. Back on course of 165 mag now. Heads up to yachts heading for that 29S;173E waypoint. WE continue to expect Whangarei arrival Sunday. Time less certain now. If no wind, we may decide to clear in at Opua to assure we have sufficient fuel. Day's run of 137 nm reflects the effect of the current. We have about 325 nm to go as of 0330 Friday, our time.

Great progress. So glad all well! Fair winds for next two days.

Opua looks like a popular haven for yachts according to satellite images on Google Earth.

Current
Thu Oct 27 5:57 2016 NZDT
Speed: motorsailing 6.0knts
Weather: light wind, long period swell, cloud 5/10, getting cooler at night, baro 1019.

all is well on board. estimate arrival Whangarei Sunday morning. 428 nm to go. we continue well fed, well rested, and in good spirits. day's run to 1700 yesterday 126 nm, due to chasing wind for 3 hours during the morning, prompted by a fresh westerly, as forecast. wind then went south westerly instead of north westerly as was expected, began petering out, and finally settled at south east, having us sailing close hauled headed north of east in 10 kts apparent. gave up and went back on the motor. it did rain, though, giving us a much needed rinsing off. swells from Tasman were long period, and well behaved, no worries.

Wed Oct 26 4:27 2016 NZDT
Speed: 6.0-6.5 motor sailingknts
Weather: wind variable nw to e,

all is well on board. beginning to feel some swell, but not much. dark night, can't see much, but boat is moving a bit more occasionally. still a two handed typing morning, though. seas have been virtually calm with a < 1 meter swell for the past day. we expect to arrive Whangarei late Sat afternoon or evening, or Opua earlier if visability or weather not good. We have about 560 nm to Marsden Cove, Whangarei. we are eating well, are well rested, spirits are good. Fuel remaining does not seem to be an issue. run through 1700 yesterday 159 nm, best of passage.

Just located this site. Read all of your posts. So glad no horror stories on this crossing. We have enough horror stories in the States right now. You know, it being the Halloween month and all!
Tue Oct 25 6:18 2016 NZDT
Speed: 7knts
Weather: little wind; seas virtually calm, long period swell

all is well on board. Motorsailing since 1800 yesterday. We had a grand sail yesterday in 15-18 kts apparent and almost flat seas. We hardened up and enjoyed the ride. Very comfortable past day and a half. Expect to arrive NZ Sunday sometime, perhaps mid day. We plan to clear in at Whangarei, but will go to Opua if weather or something else requires. Daily runs consistent between 140-145 nm/day. We seem to have found a favorable current of between .5 and 1 kt. Don't know anything about it, happy to have it. We are headed for a waypoint about 30 nm east and very slightly south of North Cape. Grib files show 2.5+ mtr swells reaching us from Tasman sometime tomorrow. Any Gulf Harbor comments on period would be appreciated.

Mon Oct 24 5:45 2016 NZDT
Speed: 5.5-6.5knts
Weather: wind 15-20 kts east by south; seas-too dark to see, but have built in last few hours and are a bit confused

all is well on board. Got big lift from backing wind about 1000 utc, but wind remains 15-24kts. Haven't found center of hi yet..we are pinching a little to avoid going further west.

Sun Oct 23 3:57 2016 NZDT
Weather: 18-20 kts sse; sea 1.5 meter, cloud cover 5/10, baro 1015

all is well on board. Looking forward to wind shift.

Sat Oct 22 6:15 2016 NZDT
Weather: overnight, 18-30 kts sse, dropping at 1700utc to 16-24; seas 2-3 mtrs, short period, bumpy ride; cloud 5/10; barometer 1015

all well on board. double reefed, sailing at 60 deg to apparent wind

Safe sailing to you both. We were attracted to your journey by your name - as in the mid nineties we cruised in the Pacific on our, "Kindred Spirit", a New Zealand built 47ft classic styled sloop. Our two children were our crew and we've always said they were the best years of our family life. When you arrive in NZ please let us know and we will endevour to help you with your refit. We are, after all, "kindred spirits" !! And my mother was from Hampton, Virginia. Regards, Sarah & John
Fri Oct 21 8:54 2016 NZDT

Clearing out of Fiji at Vuda this morning.

Wed Oct 19 9:06 2016 NZDT
Run: 433.9nm (785.4km)

Getting ready to leave Fiji for NZ. Expect Friday departure, subject to weather.

Thu Aug 25 14:26 2016 NZST
Run: 433.9nm (785.4km)

Launched yesterday after major repair of cyclone damage sustained during TC Winston. All is well now.

Fri Oct 16 8:29 2015 NZDT
Run: 203.1nm (367.6km)
Avg: 2.8knts
24hr: 67.1nm

arrived and settling in. probably wondering why they came to this weather!

I'm so glad I didn't read this until I knew you had arrived in Fiji.
Wed Oct 14 20:28 2015 NZDT
Speed: noneknts
Weather: no rain all day, despite threatening skies. Wind fairly light in marina. Cloud cover at 1845 10/10. Barometer, same time, 1010.

Went through Navula Passage at sunrise Wednesday, after heaving to in the lee of Viti Levu for a couple hours to await daylight. Spent most of the day waiting for and dealing with friendly Customs sorts, (total costs now $492 Fiji), and getting situated in a very full marina. Just now, 1845 NZDT, able to report status. Had very bad Tuesday night, with wind steady 30 gusting 40++, and 3-5+ meter confused seas regularly breaking down onto the boat as we quartered or went across the waves. Our fully enclosed center cockpit was regularly inundated. Down to reefed mizzen and quadruple reefed working genoa, still doing 8 kts on a 39 foot waterline, almost hull speed. Boat stood up well to gusts, no real problem there. We have significant clean up and repair work to do as a result of water damage from last night's waves, which found their way into places they really should not have been. On balance, a really uncomfortable, at times bordering on dangerous passage, due to sea conditions for the second half of the trip, after 3 1/2 days of motoring at the start. This was exacerbated by a steering failure in 3-4 meter breaking seas at sunset on day 4, which required an emergency heaving to so the boat was not left broadside to the breaking waves while the problem was investigated. The boat had to be left hove to for 1 1/2 days, even though the steering problem was diagnosed and repaired within a couple hours of heaving to. Overnight, sea conditions became so severe that the next day any deck work was unacceptably dangerous, precluding raising the quickly doused and hence messy sails and resuming our passage and requiring that we bear motion so violent that the only comfortable (and safe) place was in bed, until conditions settled enough after the second day and night to allow us to continue on our way. However, it all has already begun to fade to memory, and we hope to retain the positive parts of the passage and let the rest slip into the past, with lessons learned. This is the last of our reports on our passage from New Zealand to Fiji. I have not been successful in raising Taupo Marine Radio the past two days, and would appreciate GHR informing them we have arrived safely.

Tue Oct 13 7:53 2015 NZDT
Speed: 8+knts
Run: 196.9nm (356.4km)
Avg: 8.4knts
24hr: 202.4nm
Weather: wind 18-25 gusting 30-35 se, seas 2+ meters, no swell, cloud cover 5/10, barometer 1018

all is well on board. very fast, bouncy night, expect more of same until in fiji tomorrow. 165nm to go.

This is great to be able to watch how your adventure is unfolding. Not long to Bula time. All the best BnL

well done. :)

nearly there you will be pleased to have a sheltered anchorage we think

Awesome!

Pages

Mon Oct 12 8:32 2015 NZDT
Speed: 7-8knts
Run: 148.5nm (268.8km)
Avg: 7.4knts
24hr: 177.4nm
Weather: 4-20SE, was sw overnight during squalls

all Ok on board

Sun Oct 11 12:27 2015 NZDT
Speed: 6.5 - 7.0knts
Run: 32.4nm (58.6km)
Weather: wind 12-20 se apparent (16-25 true), waves sse 2-2.5 meters widely spaced swell with noticeable wind waves on top lively but generally orderly, cloud cover 2/10, barometer 1022

got under way about 9:30 Sunday morning. all systems seem ok.

good to hear you are underway again we toates you last night, hopefully Fit I hopefully not too many days away.
Sat Oct 10 20:09 2015 NZDT
Speed: 1.5knts
Run: 11.1nm (20.1km)

Hove to but at least moving in the right direction. This report from Maritme Radio

No worries you say? OK. Patiently waiting for your next report. - Your land loving friend.
Sat Oct 10 7:57 2015 NZDT
Speed: 1.2knts
Run: 96.5nm (174.7km)
Avg: 4knts
24hr: 95.2nm
Weather: 20-30 kts sse; seas 3-4 meters, beginning to spread out; cloud cover 5/10, from south, barometer 1022

hove to, riding well. steering failure last evening, hove to for repair. problem found, solved, we think, but will not know until under way. some deck work necessary from hurried sail dousing and heaving to,seas too rough at moment to attempt. we are not in danger. no assistance is required. need winds and seas to settle before we can safely raise main and make sure works. probably will remain hove to today, based on yesterday's spot saildocs forecast. will know more after spot forecast this morning. all is well, if not especially comfortable. no worries.

Fri Oct 9 7:37 2015 NZDT
Speed: 6knts
Run: 166.5nm (301.4km)
Avg: 7.1knts
24hr: 169.3nm
Weather: wind 8-12kts sse; sea confused with miscellaneous small chops on top of se swell, 1.5 meter, cloud 6/10, heavy aft, barometer 1023.

wind shift about 0530, waiting for wind to fill and settle down in a direction. Once wind fills, we can shut off the faithful engine. May have to sail a bit east of route to keep wind on one side of tansom. all is well on board.

Thu Oct 8 8:01 2015 NZDT
Speed: 6.8knts
Run: 171.9nm (311.1km)
Avg: 7.1knts
24hr: 171.2nm
Weather: wind

motoring still, no wind in sight. conditions comfortable, all is well on board. have been in favorable for about 12 hrs, moving right along. socks off yesterday, hooray. beef wellington dinner great, thank you Gloria.

You must be traveling on a First Class ticket! Stay safe! Looking forward to seeing you in Fiji soon.
Wed Oct 7 7:55 2015 NZDT
Speed: 6.5knts
Run: 142.5nm (257.9km)
Avg: 7.1knts
24hr: 169.9nm
Weather: wind

still motoring in quiet conditions. all is well aboard. mainsail up as stabilizer. warm in cockpit yesterday, less cold last night, comfortable below.

How are the seas? Any good winds to set the sails to work?
Tue Oct 6 11:47 2015 NZDT
Speed: 6knts
Run: 103nm (186.4km)
Weather: wind

left Marsden Cove in first wind lull of the day, about 1830. now motoring in light winds from aft. had a good first night after choppy exit seas. all is well on board.

This site is cool! I still will use your sail mail account so that I can ask my dumb questions but I'll check here daily to see where you are and read your blog.
Sun Oct 4 15:59 2015 NZDT
Speed: doced at marsden coveknts
Weather: series of fronts going by, we will see the tail end of them Sunday night, then a huge high pressure area beginning Tuesday, we hope. Beautiful day, wind picking up at 1600, should shift to northwest tonight, back to southwest tomorrow morning early.

decided to let forecast intense cold front go by overnight Sunday, and depart Monday after the excitement is over. Probably will leave sometime after noon

We have our fingers crossed for you, hoping you have a great passage!
Sat Oct 3 9:24 2015 NZDT
Speed: doced at marsden coveknts
Run: 0.1nm (0.2km)
Weather: series of fronts going by, we will see the tail end of them, then a huge high pressure area beginning Tuesday, we hope wind variable with fronts 50% cloud cover

setting yit email on sailmail, checking it out with this report

Sat Oct 3 8:47 2015 NZDT

preparing to depart NZ, finally, tomorrow, 4 Oct, for Fiji

Hi from Pat and Mark . Marsden cove.Have a great trip .

No blogs available for this yacht.