Making slower progress, we have 73 nm to go to Nuku'alofa will arrive about 9.00pm tonight.
210nm to Nuku'alofa, still hoping to arrive tomorrow afternoon. We motored most of the night and turned the engine off at 4.30am and are now sailing in 15-20 knots of wind.
Making good progress, hope to be in to Nuku'alofa late Wednesday afternoon, 388 nm to go well over half way.
We spent all night motoring with less than ten knots of wind. Still motoring with the wind not forecast increase until this evening.
Another good day sailing, we ran the code zero for 7 hours. We currently have 8-12 knots of wind from the south east, not sure now long it will be before we start an engine.
The water temperature has increased by 2.5 degrees since leaving Opua.
A great 44 hours sailing until the wind dropped away and we started an engine just before 7 am this morning, waking me for my watch. We are now just over 300nm from Opua and 459 nm from South Minvera Reef.
Moroccan chicken for dinner tonight served on rice with beans, yum yum. Great sailing today, making great progress.
Karl's quote of the day "We should survive" the power of positive thinking!
With the wind ranging between 15 and 30 knots, it made for an interesting night at sea, dodging the rain showers that show up on the radar. Rod just made the comment that all is good, we are afloat, that always helps when you are sailing! We are making good progress with 614nm to South Minerva Reef and 158nm from Opua. Currently we have about 20% cloud cover and 12-15 knots of wind from the south.
Glen and Rod departed Auckland on Monday afternoon at 5.30pm after waiting for the wind to drop, we sailed through the night and arrived in Opua at 1.15pm on Tuesday afternoon. Jillian left Auckland by car with Karl late morning on Wednesday.
We had a good night at the Opua cruising club with Graeme, Sue, Ben and Helen joining us for dinner.
This morning we cleared customs after having breakfast at the cafe and departed Opua for Minerva Reef about 10.30am.
We are having a great sail in 15-20 knots and are just over 50 miles from Opua.
The potatoes are in the oven, as we prepare for our first night at sea. Karl has just spotted a pod of large dolphins at first thinking they were whales.
Great to be at sea again.
Malakite - Second update
Motored for the first 40 hours, on very calm seas with less than 10 knots of wind. Heading east so we could make the most of the easterly wind when it arrived.Beautiful sunsets and an amazing full moon. Caught an albacore tuna which was enjoyed for dinner last night. We turned of the engine and started sailing at 2.30am this morning, the wind has been slowly building and we are currently sailing in 20-25 knots of wind, doing 7-8 knots boat speed in lumpy seas.
Malakite - Opua departure
We departed Opua, Bay of Islands this morning with Glen, Ben and Ken on board. We are motoring at 6.2 knots, with no wind and glassy seas. Heading east so we can make the most of the wind and it's forecast direction as we get closer to Minerva reef. 749nm to South Minerva Reef. What a great day to depart.
Malakite - Auckland to Opua
We, being Glen, Jillian and Ben left Orakei Marina on Thursday 23rd April at 1700hrs heading to Opua in the Bay of Islands. We motor sailed until around midnight and then were able to turn the engines of and enjoy the peace with only the wind in our sails. Ben kept watch until midnight then Glen took over. Glen heard unusual splashing sounds on his watch and shone the torch into the water and found a pod of dolphins playing alongside us. They didn’t care for the torch beam and soon left us. Read more...