En route from Ascension to the E. Carib. Classic doldrums. All well aboard.
Alan is on his way but who knows where to. He is TACKING. Yikes. he is not going to Aus but whether he arrives at New Cal or NZ next stay tuned!
Departed Le Port bound for Richards Bay, SA. Hope to escape this convergence zone by lunchtime today and pick up the SEerlies to carry us as far as Madagascar. Then things turn ugly.
Darse des Plaisances, Le Port, Reunion. We've hiked in the mountains and we swam in the waterfalls. We've projected and prepared, and now it's time to press on to South Africa.
At anchor Port Mathurin, Rodrigues. Friendly people, fresh baguette, great hiking, easy, clean, and low-key.
(Posted 1000 UTC Sep 2) We arrived safely in Kupang, Indonesia on the 31st of August. Thank you again for all of the weather reports and position tracking.
(Posted 1900 UTC Aug 27) Spoke Australian Border Control aircraft today. Despite the rumors, they do not deliver ice cream.
(Posted 1917 UTC Aug 25) 700nm to Kupang.
(Posted 0124UTC Aug 24) Uneventful passage through Torres Straits with fine winds and weather. Winds held E until last night; drifted along @<2kts for hours, but finally fired up a few minutes ago. Combination of poor reception from Darawank & Brunei Sailmail stations and low battery power (wind & towed generators ineffective @<10kts wind downwind) has made emails (like YIT reports) more challenging, so we may not be checking as frequently as usual, but we will be sure to report our safe arrival. ~900nm to Kupang.
(Posted 1917 UTC Aug 22) Rested a day in Treacherous Bay; now continuing through Torres Straits.
(Posted 1926 UTC) Motorsailing to an anchor at Treacherous Bay, Darnley Island, Great Northeast Channel.
(Posted 0540 NZT) 107nm to Torres Straits. 1460nm to Kupang.
(Posted 0540 NZT) 220nm to Torres Straits. 1570nm to Kupang.
(Posted 0630 NZT) ~390nm to Torres Straits eta late Fri/early Sat
(Posted 0630 NZT) ~540nm to Torres Straits
(Posted 0630 NZT)correction to last transmission
(Posted 0630 NZT)
(Posted 0630 NZT)Aim to be about 12d 10's 155d 25'e by noon Monday (NZT), then run immediately south of, or through the Louisiades, depending on conditions.
(Posted 0630 NZT)1026 nm to Torres Str.
(Posted 0700 NZT)1150 nm to Torres Str. Expect ~160E early Sat AM. Question: would diverting a little south of our rhumb line avoid the high convective zone this weekend?
may drop below rhum line to avoid convergence
all well onboard and an amazing radio signal this morning
Clearing out Luganville today bound Kupang, Indonesia tonight or early AM tomorrow. ~1500 nm to Torres Straits.
departing today for Torres St. Passage time about 10-14days
will check in today in Aneityum. Gulf Harbour radio celebrated their arrival by ordering a glass of Peregrine pinot noir. It is from Gibbs Valley near Quesnstown NZ and was very good!
Arrived Aneityum ~1000LOC and anchored in Q @ Anelghowhat in 12 m sand, good holding. Winds fresh S with a vigorous harbor chop, but no sea swell. Thanks again to GHR for all you do! ZZzzzz.....
16 nm to Aneityum.
145 nm to Aneityum.
255nm to Aneityum. ETA early monday morning
350 nm to Aneityum.
(Composed July 5 1845 UTC) In Kandavu Passage after a rough
Depart Savusavu first thing AM; bound Aneityum, Vanuatu. Hoping to break free of this tedious, squally stationary front by Viti Levu rounding Wednesday PM, if not sooner (models show it already east of here?) Also hoping the trades don't peter out too much in coming week on passage (approaching ridge?) Will try to check in before checking out.
(Posted 0600 May 26 NZST) Hove-to outside the Tonga Pass at Vanua Balavu, Lau, Fiji awaiting sufficient light to make the pass and cross the lagoon to Lomaloma, our destination. This will be our last check-in for a while. Thanks again for all you do at GHR!
(Posted 0700 May 25 NZST) Slowly losing the race to be the slowest boat sailing to Fiji. We are riding the Sea Mercy train past Bounty Boat and Oneata Passages behind Perry, Amelie IV, and ahead of one other I haven't identified yet.
(Posted at 0545) For those passing Mana Islands close aboard, actual location of westernmost point of Vuatoa Ono reef estimated by radar was 20d 44.7' S 178d 54.6' W.
(Posted 0635 May 23) Trough passage @ N. Minerva May 22: 0400 Winds W 35 kts with light rain, 0500 winds W 25 kts, clearing, 0500 - 0700 winds back to SW then 15-25 kts, then to SSW 20 kts remainder of the day. Peregrine departed N. Minerva Pass 1030 bound for Vanua Mbalavu, Fiji.
Arrived S. Minerva ~1500 yesterday. Leaving shortly after dawn for N. Minerva today.
43 nm to pass S. Minerva; hope to be in N. Minerva this afternoon. Haven't had a passage with this much motoring since the '90s - bring on the trades! Celebrating our sixth anniversaday of no sand flies.
Wondering about entering N. Minerva (NW/SE Pass) on Friday afternoon versus Saturday morning and leaving out of Minerva Monday for Lau.
(Posted 0645 May 18) No copy on GHR past three mornings. Just noticed that the GHR Chrome app is sometimes generating bad data for pasting into email (Email/Copy button); a mash-up of new entries (e.g. weather) and old (everything else). Seems to happen when Status field left blank. Also, it's not including date/time in the buffer/output. Is there a field code for that?
~465 nm to N. Minerva. Sump rebuilt, propane solenoid repaired, and two new solar panels installed while motoring in calms. Fine broad sailing and all is well aboard.
Left Opua noon May 14 bound Lau, Fiji by way of N. Minerva (time allowing). Difficulty raising SailMail stations for check-in here and d/ling weather data. Mild conditions so far w/ about 50% light & variable under power. Currently sailing in E wind 7-8 kts. Swell 1.5m, long period from SW and 1-1.5m, shorter period from NE. 5% cloud.
Anchored Opua awaiting weather window. Bound Vanua Balavu, Fiji with Sea Mercy fleet DR2A.
Arrived safely and sound at quarantine in Auckland. Thanks again to David and Patricia and Gulf Harbour Radio for all that they do for offshore cruisers.
(Posted 1000 local Nov 24) Too stunned by dawn over the most breathtaking landfall I can recall to check into YIT in a timely fashion this morning. Motoring slowly through calms now in the mouth of the Hauraki Gulf. Diverted at ~1130 yesterday to lend assistance to schooner Regulus who had called CG on 16 for a tow into Opua from ~35 nm out (fuel problem); Maritime Radio this morning confirmed their safe arrival.
Position at 0600. Based on gribs, wind to become northerly late today. Does the nearshore forecast concur?
At net time they were 40m north of Cape Brett. Will have westerly quadrant winds today but turning northerly tonight
This description of our frontal crossing off N. Cape is for David's research. Consider it the least I could do in thanks for your volunteer service to cruisers. I realize it may be more in depth than what was requested, but I also understand (intimately) the difficulties associated with collecting reliable field data. Wind speeds were collected from my 2013 Raymarine anemometer (details available), which received a new controller (ITC-5) this past September; I have not yet had a chance to confirm the calibration of the new controller absolutely, but readings have always corresponded well with forecasts, nearby observations, Beaufort scale indications, and my experience. Readings were taken sporadically during watch changes, regular deck checks, and for longer stretches during peak wind conditions for the purpose of this record. I should begin by stating that it was our strategy on this passage to >avoid< the most turbulent and windy zones within the fronts in our path. To this end, we stalled our southward progress north of the front of Nov 21/22 off N. Cape and bore considerably west to allow the core of the front to cross ahead of us. At 0015 (local)near position 32 08S 173 27E, sustained winds were NW 18 kt. For a period of approximately 4 hr from about 0200-0600, peak sustained winds were 23-27 kt (much of the variability owing to the high sea state), or ~25 kt on average; gusts did not exceed 30 kt (while I watched the instruments). Winds subsided thereafter and backed slightly to about WNW 14-16 kt by 1000, at which time we crossed the actual front (or the weak tail end of it). The wind backed to SW in minutes, and then diminished from SW 12-14 kt to SW 2-4 kt within 40 minutes. SW wind built again from ~1115, reaching SW 18-20 kt within a half hour or so...where they remain now. We have shaken out reefs and born off on a close reach for Cape Brett, and are making good way despite the confused seas. A fellow cruiser checking in on SSB radio at 0715 from position 34 10S 174 41E (110 nm SE of our 0715 position) reported sustained winds of W 25-30 kt with gusts to 40 kt. They were lying ahull making 2.5 kt at 160T waiting for conditions to moderate so they could continue their passage.
(Posted at 0600 local 11/22) Kicking up a little choppy in a fresh breeze on the starboard quarter. Snugged down with double reefed main and mizzen, stays'l, and storm jib. Clouds now filling in from S with some distant lightning after crystal clear, cold night. Putting a little money in the bank (i.e. westing) for the backing expected behind the front. Feels great to be really moving again! Hope to clear North Cape before the dinner dishes are stowed. 250 nm to Auckland approaches.
(Posted at 0600 local 11/21) First breath of westerlies @ 0400 with easing of old 2m SE swell. Plan to be @ 31 40S 173 43E by midnight, then 32 58S 173 12E by noon, after frontal passage. What can we expect coming down the coast to Auckland Mon-Wed? Thanks again.
(Posted at 0600 local 11/20) Entering ridge. GFS models (and blurry WeFax) indicate faster eastward movement of the low currently S of NZ and associated high winds/seas @ N.Cape. WeFax also seems (again, very blurry) to no longer show any fronts crossing N.Cape this weekend. Do you agree? Plan to step up pace to make original waypoint (31 40S 174 25E) by late Sat instead of Sun noon. Then will ride the NW & westerlies to about 34.5S Mon. GFS models not helping me after that, much confusion.
At net time they were sailing with SE8-10
(Posted at 0600 local 11/19) Passed through weak front yesterday as anticipated. Max sustained winds 18kts. Winds backing slowly after the shift to southerlies, and we are following them around to make our turn toward NZ. SST 21.8C.
At net time winds are south. They are looking at eta Auckland on wednesday am. All is well on board
(Posted at 1700 UTC 11/18) Baro peaked noon Mon, and spot mare's tails noon Tue; expect to cross weak front and swap the running backs Wed near 26 20S and 176E. WeFax from ZKLF still illegible on all frequencies, but models giving us half the story, synopsis emails a bit more; we just make up the rest...then we tune into Gulf Harbor Radio! Still riding the clutch and gently tapping the breaks in order to ride over the ridge Fri AM near 28S and 174E. Slowest passage I can recall, but silky smooth and steady, and right now that's what counts.
(Posted at 1700 UTC 11/17) Making leisurely passage to 26 45S 174 20E by no sooner than noon Thu to pass north of cold front, then south to 31 40S 174 25E no sooner than noon Sun to allow subsequent fronts associated with low over Cook Strait to pass south of us. From there, will head south behind frontal systems to reach Auckland by Wed morning (Nov 25). What longitude do you expect to see Sunday's front reaching by mid-day? How far north would you expect to see associated winds greater than 25-30 kts? May not call in this morning due to somewhat low battery, but will be listening. Thanks again!
changing course to 240 after net. On passage Tonga to Auckland
Today's GFS model changes inspire earlier departure from N. Minerva than anticipated. Plan to intercept the forecasted ridge near 29S 174E by Fri allowing the next trough to pass south of us @ N. Cape Sat night. Then rhumb line to Auckland. Hope to be in Tue 11/24 before the following front crosses the Norfolk Trough. Will try to check in on 8752kHz Monday morning. Dirk o|-}
Composed 2015 Nov 13 UTC (will send later). At N. Minerva looking for opportunity to depart for Auckland (in no hurry). Will check in (first time) on 8752kHz Monday morning.
10 nm out from N. Minerva @ 2009Z Nov. 12. Still deciding whether to get underway with the favorable winds tomorrow or wait for the next "window".
Rounding Duff Reef, Tongatapu bound for Minerva. Scratching the mast and tossing senitis southeastward.
Standing by to depart Nuku'alofa en route to N. Minerva reef tonight or tomorrow.
No blogs available for this yacht.