SCOOTS

SCOOTS

Wed Dec 5 9:07 2018 NZDT
Speed:
0.0 kn
knts
Run: 36.5nm (66.1km)
35 50s 174 28e

SCOOTS has arrived at Marsden Cove Marina as of 7 pm Dec 4! After a very interesting weather day. We'll clear with Customs tomorrow morning then move upriver to Town Basin Marina. Wow it's weird to be on a stationary boat...


Wed Dec 5 9:07 2018 NZDT
Speed:
7.6 kn
knts
Run: 209.9nm (379.9km)
Avg: 6knts
24hr: 143.4nm
35 19s 174 36e
Weather: bar 1007, 20% cloud, wind 19 kn NW, seas

Noon readings from Dec 4.


Mon Dec 3 22:00 2018 NZDT
Speed:
8.4 kn
knts
Run: 172.5nm (312.2km)
Avg: 6.3knts
24hr: 152.2nm
32 17s 174 46e
Weather: bar 1009, 70% cloud, wind 21 kn WNW, seas 2m swell (some higher) from W + steep wind chop, air temp 74F, sea temp 69F

Noon readings. Scooting along at 8-9 knots on a beam reach in lots of W wind. Waves frequently washing our deck, occasionally our cockpit. Discovered some hatches that weren't tightly shut. It wouldn't be a trip to NZ if we didn't have some saltwater in the cabin. :/ Hoping that the promised NW wind will fill in soon which should make life more comfortable. We changed our destination to Marsden Cove Marina. Still looking to arrive afternoon 4 Dec. SCOOTS can smell the barn....


Sun Dec 2 18:48 2018 NZDT
Speed:
7.8 kn
knts
Run: 207.1nm (374.9km)
Avg: 10.1knts
24hr: 241.3nm
29 58s 175 51e
Weather: bar 1007.8, 30% cloud, wind 16 kn WNW, seas 1.5m swell W, air temp 78F, sea temp 70F

Sailing again! Dave on s/v Rewa is still sailing along nearby; it's nice to have a friend to chat with on the VHF out here. We're considering changing our destination to Marsden Cove instead of Opua, to take advantage of the favorable winds at arrival time. All well on board.


Sat Dec 1 22:12 2018 NZDT
Speed:
7kn motoring
knts
Run: 234.3nm (424.1km)
Avg: 6knts
24hr: 143.8nm
27 02s 175 09e
Weather: bar 1009, 80% cloud, wind light from NW, seas flat with a slight NW swell, air temp 77F, sea temp 72F

Since our last update, we've transited a front thrown up by the big Low in the Tasman. It gave us the wind we had been lacking for the past two days, sustained N winds of 18-22 knots for most of the night with just a little rain. This moved us along nicely with our two headsails. The seas were only about 1.5 m, but they made for rolly conditions. This morning, as we sailed through the last of the front, we had quite a bit of rain, and a couple of gusts over 30 knots, but that's about it. Now, on the other side of the front, we have almost no wind and we're motoring again. Hoping now for the predicted West winds...


Looks like it should be picking up wnw to scoot you into NZ. Car battery all charged up waiting for..xx
Fri Nov 30 7:06 2018 NZDT
Speed:
6.2kn motoring
knts
Run: 162.3nm (293.8km)
Avg: 6.7knts
24hr: 161.6nm
23 40s 175 35e
Weather: bar 1015, 20% cloud, wind light and variable, seas flat with a slight SW swell, air temp 77F, sea temp 77F

Another beautiful sunny day and starry night. We're wearing pants and long sleeves on our night watches now. We must truly be tropical people...I was surprised to find that the temperature is 77 degrees! I thought it was colder.


Thu Nov 29 7:00 2018 NZDT
Speed:
5.1kn motoring
knts
Run: 150.8nm (272.9km)
Avg: 6.4knts
24hr: 154.3nm
21 24s 176 15e
Weather: bar 1014, 10% cloud, wind 11kn SSW, seas 1m SW, air temp 79F, sea temp 79F

Beautiful weather! Wind has backed around and is now on the nose. Expect to motor into it most of the day. Still looking at a Dec 4 arrival in Opua.


Wed Nov 28 7:33 2018 NZDT
Speed:
5.5kn
knts
Run: 113.2nm (204.9km)
19 15s 176 39e
Weather: bar 1013, 20% cloud, wind 12kn NW, seas < 1m, air temp 84F, sea temp 82F

Left Denarau yesterday, on our way to Opua. Lovely sailing conditions.


Fri Nov 9 6:51 2018 NZDT
Speed:
0.0kn
knts
17 46s 177 23e
Weather: bar 1012, 10% cloud, wind 10kn SE, air temp 23 C

Still waiting at Denarau Marina for a weather window we like.


Wed Nov 7 7:00 2018 NZDT
Speed:
0.0kn
knts
Run: 63nm (114km)
17 46s 177 23e
Weather: bar 1012, 30% cloud, wind 7kn SE, air temp 23 C

Waiting at Denarau Marina for a Thursday departure to Opua. Today is the Diwali holiday.


Sat Oct 6 0:00 2018 NZDT
Run: 39.6nm (71.7km)
17 19.40S 178 13.11E
Weather: sunny, wind 15 kn from ESE/SE

A lovely day to sail across the Bligh Water! We're now anchored off the beach of Nananu-i-Cake Island, on the north shore of Viti Levu


Fri Oct 5 0:00 2018 NZDT
Run: 50.2nm (90.9km)
16 52.02S 178 34.79E
Weather: light and variable, the 20-25 knots from the SW, then light and variable again

Anchored in peaceful Bua Bay after a day of changeable weather: light and variable leaving Savusavu, 20-25 knots as we entered Nasonisoni Pass, continuing and adding 1.5m seas to bash into after we exited the pass, then returning to light and variable late afternoon


Wed Oct 3 8:07 2018 NZDT
Run: 38.9nm (70.4km)
16 47S 179 20E
Weather: cloudy, rainy

We've been enjoying Savusavu for the past week so far. We'll be moving to Denarau by Oct. 10.


Sat Sep 15 7:43 2018 NZST
Run: 99.1nm (179.4km)
16 56S 179 54E
Weather: cloudy with rain, light ese winds here, though it is probably windy away from the lee of the island

We've been slowly exploring the islands of the Koro Sea...Leleuvia, Ovalau, Makogai, Koro, and now Taveuni. We are very comfortably moored at the super-yacht-friendly Paradise Taveuni Resort.


Tue Aug 21 7:42 2018 NZST
Speed:
0 kn
knts
17 49s 178 43e
Weather: bar 1015, 30% cloud cover, wind calm, air temp 25C, sea temp 25C

Anchored at Leleuvia Island in the Koro Sea


Tue Aug 21 7:30 2018 NZST
Speed:
0 kn
knts
Run: 28.6nm (51.8km)
17 49s 178 43e
Weather: bar 1015, 30% cloud cover, wind calm, air temp 25C, sea temp 25C

Anchored at Leleuvia Island in the Koro Sea


Mon Jul 2 16:48 2018 NZST
Run: 68.1nm (123.3km)
18 07s 178 25e

Arrived in Suva Harbour 30 June @ 1400. Outside the reef, seas were 3 meters and wind 25-30 knots E/SE. Motor not working, so sailed in and anchored under sail. Inside the harbour, flat seas and 15-20 knots. :) All very well on board.


Sat Jun 30 6:30 2018 NZST
Speed:
8.2kn
knts
Run: 178.6nm (323.3km)
Avg: 7.4knts
24hr: 177.1nm
19 03s 178 45e
Weather: bar 1020, 80% cloud with squalls, wind 21kn SE, seas 2m swell S & 2m SE, air temp 75F, sea temp 77F

Diverting to Suva due to weather. Arriving today.


Fri Jun 29 6:18 2018 NZST
Speed:
7.8kn
knts
Run: 180.8nm (327.2km)
Avg: 7.5knts
24hr: 180.4nm
21 38s 178 41e
Weather: bar 1020, 60% cloud, wind 18kn SE, seas 2m swell S & 1m SE, air temp 71F, sea temp 73F

All well. Sensing the barn.


Thu Jun 28 6:15 2018 NZST
Speed:
7.0kn
knts
Run: 161.9nm (293km)
Avg: 6.8knts
24hr: 163.6nm
23 45s 177 01e
Weather: bar 1021, 50% cloud, wind 16kn SE, seas 3m swell S & 1m SE, air temp 71F, sea temp 73F

Happily on a beam reach


Wed Jun 27 6:30 2018 NZST
Speed:
6.4kn
knts
Run: 175.2nm (317.1km)
Avg: 7.3knts
24hr: 174.5nm
25 58s 176 11e
Weather: bar 1022, 30% cloud, wind 17kn SSW, seas 3m swell S, air temp 69F, sea temp 73F

All well on board.


Tue Jun 26 6:24 2018 NZST
Speed:
6.4
knts
Run: 204.2nm (369.6km)
Avg: 8.7knts
24hr: 209.9nm
28 25s 175 27e
Weather: bar 1020, 20% cloud, wind 15kn SSW, seas 1m swell SW, air temp 68F, sea temp 70F

Enjoying a serene downwind sail.


Mon Jun 25 7:03 2018 NZST
Speed:
8.0
knts
Run: 281.6nm (509.7km)
31 15s 174 29e
Weather: bar 1018, 40% cloud, wind 20kn WNW, seas 1m choppy wind waves from WNW

Having a rollicking ride. All well.


Tue Nov 28 8:33 2017 NZDT
Speed:
0.0
knts
Run: 11.3nm (20.5km)
Avg: 43.3knts
24hr: 1039.7nm
35 18.82s 174 07.30e
Weather: 100% cloud, no wind to speak of

All Well. SCOOTS is tucked into a slip in Opua after a wet and windy 6 day passage. Now the cleanup begins.


Tue Nov 28 8:17 2017 NZDT
Run: 1205.8nm (2182.5km)
Avg: 7.1knts
24hr: 170.3nm
35 9.19968s 174 9.43404e

arrived yesterday afternoon


Tue Nov 21 6:24 2017 NZDT
Speed:
0.0
knts
18 07.38s 178 25.34e
Weather: 100% cloud, rain, very little wind from SW-SE

All Well, leaving Suva for Opua this morning. It rained all night, hope it stops before we go.


Mon Nov 20 6:42 2017 NZDT
Speed:
0.0
knts
Run: 107.2nm (194km)
18 07.38s 178 25.34e
Weather: wind 4 kts from the north overcast with some occasional short rain showers

all Well, leaving Suva today for Opua


Sat Aug 12 7:16 2017 NZST
Run: 19.7nm (35.7km)
16 56.57s 177 21.97e
Weather: wind SE at 10 clear skies, Baro 1017

Anchored at Blue Lagoon


Wed Aug 9 20:09 2017 NZST
Run: 262.5nm (475.1km)
17 10.28S 177 11.26E
Weather: 8knts ESE, 100%clouds, 1018 baro

anchored at the Manta Ray Island Resort


Wed Jun 7 8:02 2017 NZST
Speed:
6.1ms
knts
Run: 259.4nm (469.5km)
Avg: 2.7knts
24hr: 64.8nm
20 45S 178 32E
Weather: 20SE, 2m se swell, 40%cc

185 to Vuda. All well


Eric, hi wanted to chat to you re my continuing Winlink connection problems, could you please drop me a line to freycinet2@hotmail.com and I'll try and make contact on the HF , thanks & Regards Doug , SV FREYCINET II
Sat Jun 3 8:00 2017 NZST
Run: 203.6nm (368.5km)
Avg: 4.3knts
24hr: 102.4nm
23 39.721S 178 54.59W

anchored N Minerva last night


Thu Jun 1 8:15 2017 NZST
Speed:
2.6
knts
Run: 116.7nm (211.2km)
Avg: 4.9knts
24hr: 117.4nm
25 43S 178 46E
Weather: SW5, .5mNE swell, 80%cc,

177nm to N Minerva


Wed May 31 8:24 2017 NZST
Speed:
6.7m
knts
Run: 629.5nm (1139.4km)
Avg: 3.1knts
24hr: 73.5nm
27 12S 177 52E
Weather: 1022, 4E, less than 1m swell NE,

276 to Minerva


Mon May 22 18:56 2017 NZST
35 50.21619S, 174 28.11352E

Still in Marsden Cove Marina with a bunch of other cruisers, waiting to head north. We've all decided to stay put for a few more days, to let the latest weather pass by. The fun today included a few of us motoring over to the fuel dock and filling up during the flat calm weather, and going on a long walk in the afternoon.


Sat May 20 21:10 2017 NZST
Run: 11.2nm (20.3km)
35 50.21619S 174 28.11352E

In Marsden Cove, still waiting for the elusive weather window, to set sail for Fiji.


Wed May 10 6:45 2017 NZST
35 43.41500S 174 19.53238E

Waiting in Whangarei for good weather along with everyone else.


No blogs available for this yacht.