Silhouette

Silhouette

Thu Nov 1 0:00 2018 NZDT
Run: 109nm (197.3km)
Avg: 10.5knts
24hr: 251.5nm
24 45.61S 152 23.28E

Got to Bundaberg between 0800-0830 and started the check-in process. So far - no issues.


Wed Oct 31 13:36 2018 NZDT
Speed: 5.2knts
Run: 129.3nm (234km)
Avg: 5.4knts
24hr: 128.8nm
24 38.88S 154 07.16E
Weather: 14.5 072T

The wind is still blowing and I'm still sailing. Wind is expected to be the same all the way to Bundy. ETA 1 Nov in the morning. All's OK.


Tue Oct 30 13:30 2018 NZDT
Speed: 5.0knts
Run: 139.9nm (253.2km)
Avg: 5.8knts
24hr: 138.7nm
24 37.39S 156 10.65E
Weather: 17.4 118T

Wind has been up around 20 knots since yesterday, so I've been sailing since yesterday. ETA 1 Nov. All's OK.


Mon Oct 29 13:18 2018 NZDT
Speed: 3.6knts
Run: 103.5nm (187.3km)
Avg: 5knts
24hr: 119.7nm
24 00.12S 158 17.53E
Weather: 3.0 047T

Had nice wind up until 0200 this morning, been motoring ever since. Should get more wind this afternoon. LOB: a term used by sailors meaning Lost On Board. That's what has happened to one navigation chip. The one that's missing has data for New Zealand and Australia. I know I had it when I left NZ because I definitely used it on departure. And before getting to the islands I took it out and put in the memory chip for the islands. Now I'm trying to located the NZ/Oz chip before arriving there, but so far I've not found it in all the obvious places. Need to keep searching in all the not so obvious places. ETA changed to 1 Nov. All's well, except for the lost memory chip.


Phil, I have a spare Raymareine Compact Flash (CF) cards , I have 3 : NZ, Australia & the Islands , we are in Melbourne now , heading to Tasmania for summer , r Doug , SV Freycinet II, 0423 673 539 ,
Sun Oct 28 16:33 2018 NZDT
Speed: 0.6knts
Run: 93.5nm (169.2km)
Avg: 3.4knts
24hr: 82nm
23 34.21S 159 51.52E
Weather: 8.5 275T

The wind died yesterday and didn't pick until mid morning, which meant I motored all night. ETA 31 Oct, but this is becoming more doubtful with each slow day. All's well.


Sat Oct 27 13:12 2018 NZDT
Speed: 5.6knts
Run: 101.7nm (184.1km)
Avg: 4.3knts
24hr: 103.2nm
23 51.06S 161 18.22E
Weather: 14.1 275T

Yesterday afternoon the wind died, so on came the motor. At sunrise the wind picked up, so off with the motor. Wind is out of the west so I'm close hauled. Forecast has me sailing close to the wind for the next 36 hours. ETA 31 Oct. All's well.


Fri Oct 26 13:33 2018 NZDT
Speed: 2.5knts
Run: 124.8nm (225.9km)
Avg: 5.1knts
24hr: 123.5nm
23 33.98S 162 52.79E
Weather: 4.2 164T

Slow going, but I'm enjoying not being in a hurry for once. I haven't used the motor yet but the geneker is getting more play time now than it has in the last few years. ETA 31 Oct. All's well.


Thu Oct 25 13:18 2018 NZDT
Speed: 3.2knts
Run: 131nm (237.1km)
Avg: 4.7knts
24hr: 113.7nm
22 25.29S 164 23.84E
Weather: 7.5 091T

Today is completely different than yesterday. Yesterday the wind was 25-30 knots with 2 meter seas. Today the wind is 6-8 knots with 0,5 meter seas. Yesterday I had only the head sail and it was reefed. Today I have full main plus geneker. Current forecast has winds less than 15 knots for the remainder of passage. It's been a long time since I've been able to sail in light winds and not have to hear the motor in order to stay ahead of the weather. ETA to Bundaberg is 31 Oct. All's well.


Wed Oct 24 9:39 2018 NZDT
Run: 24.5nm (44.3km)
22 16.6S 166 26.4E

I've done the check out dance (actually, an agent did the dance for me) and will be departing in a few hours. Expecting the passage to Bundaberg to take 7 days.


Mon Oct 8 11:45 2018 NZDT
Speed: 0.3knts
Run: 103.1nm (186.6km)
Avg: 6knts
24hr: 145.1nm
22 21.50S 166 48.75E
Weather: 7.6 115T

First stop in NC. I haven't check in yet and I hope I don't have any thing to worry about. The only place to check in is on the other side of the island and everyone says it's OK to stop for the night first.


Sun Oct 7 18:42 2018 NZDT
Speed: 4.6knts
Run: 120.3nm (217.7km)
Avg: 4.3knts
24hr: 102.6nm
21 05.27S 167 39.15E
Weather: 4.5 141T

A lot more motoring than sailing. To be expected in these conditions. All's well.


Sat Oct 6 14:33 2018 NZDT
Speed: 4.3knts
Run: 117.9nm (213.4km)
19 27.24S 168 17.65E
Weather: 7.9 072T

Slow sail to New Cal. No, I'm not complaining 'cause this sure beats the conditions I had coming to Vanuatu


Sun Sep 16 22:26 2018 NZST
Run: 96.9nm (175.4km)
17 44.9S 168 18.59E

Back in Port Vila. Waiting for a weather window to either head south to Anetyium before sailing to New Caledonia or sail directly from here.


Wed Sep 12 16:59 2018 NZST
Run: 32.2nm (58.3km)
16 26.40S 167 47.06E

Made the jump from Port Stanley to Port Sandwich. Now waiting for favorable weather to go to Port Vila. Sunday is looking good at the moment.


Sat Sep 8 19:40 2018 NZST
Run: 44nm (79.6km)
16 05.75S 167 27.42E

Back in Port Stanley waiting for the prevailing winds to change so I can head south to Port Vila.


Sat Sep 1 9:48 2018 NZST
Run: 44.1nm (79.8km)
15 31.5S 167 09.76E

At the 2nd largest city (town) in Vanuatu, Luganville.


Mon Aug 27 0:00 2018 NZST
Run: 44.5nm (80.5km)
16 05.81S 167 27.47E

In Port Stanley to wait for the north wind and rain to pass by.


Tue Aug 21 21:24 2018 NZST
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 32.3nm (58.5km)
16 06.59S 168 07.69E
Weather: 3.8 122T

Moved to Nopul on Ambrym. There's a 3 day festival starting tomorrow, should be fun. There is also another volcano here, will have to see if this one is better than the one on Tanna.


Sat Aug 18 11:14 2018 NZST
Run: 7.1nm (12.9km)
16 26.39S 167 46.99E

In Port Sandwich on Malekula


Thu Aug 16 20:48 2018 NZST
Speed: 0.0knts
Run: 22.4nm (40.5km)
16 31.92S 167 49.80E
Weather: 7.7 113T

Uliveo Island, part of Maskelyne Islands in Malakula, Vanuatu.


Fri Aug 10 18:39 2018 NZST
Speed: 0.1knts
Run: 70.1nm (126.9km)
16 35.57S 168 09.71E
Weather: 5.8 085T

In Lamen Bay on Epi.


Tue Aug 7 14:46 2018 NZST
Run: 10.8nm (19.5km)
17 36.25S 168 14.63E

Left Port Vila this morning for a nice sail to Havannah Bay.


My front porch view.
Mon Jul 30 10:37 2018 NZST
Run: 87.4nm (158.2km)
17 44.75S 168 18.73E

Back in Port Vila for a few days.


Thu Jul 26 19:05 2018 NZST
Run: 58.1nm (105.2km)
18 49.28S 169 0.76E

Left Pt Resolution, Tanna this morning for an all day sail to Dillons Bay on Erromango.


Sat Jul 14 0:00 2018 NZST
Run: 145.6nm (263.5km)
Avg: 4.6knts
24hr: 111.1nm
19 31.66S 169 29.74E

Made it to Pt Resolution in 24 hours. Sailed for the first 12 and motored the last 12 hours. This bay is rolly so I set a line from the stern to the anchor rode so as to be able to point the bow into the swell instead of into the wind. A few other boats thought this was neat and soon followed my technique.


Thu Jul 12 16:32 2018 NZST
Run: 0.6nm (1.1km)
17 44.7S 168 18.7E

Leaving Port Vila tomorrow morning for an over night sail to Pt. Resolution on Tanna.


Sun Jul 1 15:48 2018 NZST
Speed: 0.2knts
Run: 57.4nm (103.9km)
Avg: 7.9knts
24hr: 190.5nm
17 44.21S 168 18.61E
Weather: 14.1 115T 1014

Got in to Port Vila after 1300 local and anchor all set at 1400 local. It's still a little breezy in the anchorage, but I'll take 15 knots any day compared to 30 knots. Now to relax and wait for my official check in tomorrow (Monday).


Way to go Phil! Enjoy yourself there!
Sun Jul 1 8:34 2018 NZST
Speed: 5.9knts
Run: 105.5nm (191km)
Avg: 5.2knts
24hr: 124.9nm
18 29.03S 168 41.58E
Weather: 18.6 114T 1017

Didn't get as much sleep during the night as I usually do since I was pretty close to a couple islands as I was making my way to Port Vila. Only 35 nmi to go. Which will get me in around 1300 local time. Except for the big waves, All's Well. And getting better each mile I get closer to dropping the anchor.


Sat Jun 30 12:18 2018 NZST
Run: 43.7nm (79.1km)
Avg: 8.9knts
24hr: 214.8nm
19 44.29S 169 36.85E
Weather: 21.7 123T 1020

Change of plans: Original plan was to make first landfall at Pt. Resolution, which is only 15 nmi away. But the wind and seas are still over 20 knots and 3 meters and by all information available would not make for a pleasant anchorage. So, I've decided (along with Al) to proceed on for another day in this S%#@ (slop) to Port Vila for the promise of a much more comfortable anchorage.


Sat Jun 30 7:25 2018 NZST
Speed: 6.4knts
Run: 167nm (302.3km)
Avg: 6.8knts
24hr: 163.4nm
19 52.05S 170 16.32E
Weather: 24.3 130T 1019

How do I put this? The last 36 hours kinda sucked. The wind has been in the 20's, which I can handle. It's the subsequent waves that's a PITA. They're 3-4 meters, closely spaced, and coming from more than one direction. These really tosses the boat around and everything in it, including your's truly. The best part is it'll be over today. I should be anchored within the next 8 hours. Other than that, all's well.


Fri Jun 29 6:53 2018 NZST
Speed: 5.9knts
Run: 177.1nm (320.6km)
Avg: 7.3knts
24hr: 175.3nm
21 56.86S 171 35.35E
Weather: 19.8 128T 1018

Another good day and night of sailing. Winds are forecast to pick up today from 15 knts to over 20 knts. ETA still Sat, which is tomorrow here. All's well.


Thu Jun 28 6:38 2018 NZST
Speed: 5.7knts
Run: 144.2nm (261km)
Avg: 6.1knts
24hr: 145.9nm
24 29.98S 171 50.25E
Weather: 14.6 129T 1019

Another 24 hours of sailing. The gybe north put the seas directly on the stern, this made for an uncomfortable ride with the 3-4 seas pushing the stern this way and that, plus a few more directions. The wind and seas eased overnight and things are better. Still have an ETA of Saturday, but depending how long the light winds last I may have to move it to Sunday. All's well.


Wed Jun 27 6:55 2018 NZST
Speed: 6.2knts
Run: 206nm (372.9km)
Avg: 4.2knts
24hr: 101.3nm
26 33.37S 172 13.91E
Weather: 18.5 176T 1021

Was able to sail all day and night. Boy, do I missed the motor .. NOT. No squalls last night but the wind has eased a bit. Should be turning to the north when the wind shift to the SE later today. ETA Sat 30 Jun with 450 nmi to Vanuatu. All's well.


Mon Jun 25 6:07 2018 NZST
Speed: 6.3knts
Run: 177.8nm (321.8km)
Avg: 7.8knts
24hr: 186.6nm
28 45.36S 174 30.14E
Weather: 16.8 201T 1017

Been sailing since yesterday morning. Had a couple squalls last night with winds to 40 knts. After the second squall the wind dropped all the way down to 4 knts. Had to get the wind back by starting motor. ETA to Vanuatu Sat 30 Jun. All's well.


Sun Jun 24 7:15 2018 NZST
Speed: 7.4knts
Run: 126.2nm (228.4km)
Avg: 6.6knts
24hr: 158.3nm
34 01.68S 174 19.55E
Weather: 7.7 271T 1018mb

Motor all night. Wind has picked up but somewhat on the nose. Might consider sailing. But primary goal is to get far enough north to beat the next cold front tomorrow. All's well.


Sun Jun 24 7:15 2018 NZST
Speed: 7.1knts
Run: 187.4nm (339.2km)
31 19.10S 174 14.11E
Weather: 22.2 292T 1015mb

Motored for the last 24 hours. Wind picked up to the low 20's at midnight. Hope I've gotten far enough north to beat the worst winds. Should kill the engine if things looks good when the sun comes up. All's well.


Sat Jun 23 12:07 2018 NZST
Speed: 5.7knts
Run: 17.5nm (31.7km)
35 50.36S 174 36.21E
Weather: 4.5 021T 1018mb

Left Marsden at 1015. Winds light and I expect to be motoring for a while. All's well.


Thu Jun 21 13:33 2018 NZST
Speed: 0.0knts
35 43.41S 174 19.57E
Weather: 8.1 109T 1010mb

Yeppie! The weather looks good for a Saturday morning departure. I estimate the sail to Vanuatu will take 7-8 days.


Sun Jun 17 11:35 2018 NZST
35 43.4S 174 19.6E

Testing to Facebook


No blogs available for this yacht.