Legacy

Legacy

Tue Jun 27 17:43 2017 NZST
Run: 52.6nm (95.2km)

After a WONDERFUL time in Anietyum, we changed our address today to Tanna where we hope to go to the volcano. I'm a little worried: I was never very good at dodgeball!

Fri Jun 23 16:15 2017 NZST
Speed: 1knts
Run: 246.5nm (446.2km)
Avg: 3.5knts
24hr: 82.8nm

Anchored at Aneityum, Vanuatu! We got in at 9:00 this morning and we were cleared in withing a couple of hours. It was a good passage (for those of us who don't mind using our engines!)

Tue Jun 20 16:50 2017 NZST
Run: 19.9nm (36km)

We left Noumea, bound for Anietyum, Vanuatu with a stop somewhere along the way tonight before heading out the Havannah Pass tomorrow.

We're sad to be leaving New Caledonia but it feels good to be underway again.

Wed Jun 14 9:44 2017 NZST
Run: 0.2nm (0.4km)

We're still in Noumea rotting, ah, I mean resting! We've been on the go so much that it feel great to just hang out for a while.

That said, if the GRIBs can be believed, we might be leaving for Vanuatu on Monday or Tuesday.

Sun May 28 11:12 2017 NZST
Speed: 1knts
Run: 25.2nm (45.6km)

Legacy is all tied up in a berth at Port Moselle Marina. It's so good to be in! Let the drinking and dining begin!

Sat May 27 18:20 2017 NZST
Speed: 6knts
Run: 233.5nm (422.6km)
Avg: 6.6knts
24hr: 157.9nm
Weather
Weather: Wind SE 12, Seas SE 1 m, cloud 10%, bar 1018

Almost there! About 8 miles to the pass and then another 15 or so inside to lagoon to Noumea. Nice day today with good conditions. Anxious to be in!

Fri May 26 6:51 2017 NZST
Speed: 5.7knts
Run: 152.2nm (275.5km)
Avg: 6.4knts
24hr: 154.1nm
Weather
Weather: Wind S 12, Seas E 1, Cloud 10% bar 1016

Really bumpy yesterday so that the slight knocking around we're getting now is relatively pleasant. Swells still have a pretty short period, but they aren't very big. We have about 225 miles to go to New Caledonia. Still heading a bit east of Noumea so that as the wind backs, it won't be as far ahead of the beam as it would otherwise.
Did I mention that I really hate passages?! -Rich

Thu May 25 7:09 2017 NZST
Speed: 5.8knts
Run: 141.2nm (255.6km)
Avg: 6.1knts
24hr: 145.5nm
Weather
Weather: Wind SSW 20, Seas confused mostly E, bar 1014

Really pleasant sail yesterday and not too bad a ride tonight. All's well (except for losing a great big mahi yesterday!)

Wed May 24 7:52 2017 NZST
Speed: 5.3knts
Run: 99.3nm (179.7km)
Avg: 6.3knts
24hr: 151.2nm
Weather
Weather: Wind SSE 10, Seas almost all directions < 1m, cloud 15%, bar 1018

461 miles to go to New Cal, motor-sailing in pretty nice conditions. We could be sailing, but we want to keep our speed up. Seems we're always trying to beat something into port. This time, it's just winds forecast to get a little stronger and a little more on the nose.

Tue May 23 16:06 2017 NZST
Speed: 5knts
Run: 203.8nm (368.9km)
Avg: 8.6knts
24hr: 207.5nm
Weather
Weather: Wind S 6, Swell N 1m, cloud 70%, bar 1019

Left Middleton Reef this morning bound for Noumea. Motoring so far in very light wind.

Mon May 22 16:32 2017 NZST
Speed: 1knts
Run: 182.2nm (329.8km)
Avg: 5.7knts
24hr: 136.3nm
Weather
Weather: Wind NE 10, cloud 20%, bar 1021

Moved to another great anchorage spot at Middleton Reef, just because we wanted to explore a bit. Did some snorkeling until a bull shark (we think) decided it was time for us to leave the water (we are cowards, you know?).
We think we'll head on to New Caledonia tomorrow.

Sun May 21 8:27 2017 NZST
Speed: 1knts
Weather
Weather: Wind E 18, Cloud 15% (just around the edges), Bar 1022, can't see the

swells Still anchored at Middleton Reef. Pleasant!

Sat May 20 9:37 2017 NZST
Speed: 1knts
Run: 144nm (260.6km)
Avg: 3.4knts
24hr: 81.2nm
Weather
Weather: Wind E 17, Cloud 100%, Bar 1022

Legacy is anchored on the northwest corner of Middleton Reef, in about 30 feet of water. The anchorage is well protected by this MASSIVE reef. Even during squalls with 20 knots of wind, there's nothing more than a little wind chop on the water. There is a lot of room to anchor in this area in nice sand with few rocks or bombies.

Thu May 18 15:04 2017 NZST

Leaving Lord Howe in a few minutes for Middleton Reef. We don't like the weather going to New Caledonia right now, so we'll try to hold up at the reef for a week or so. It'll be an adventure!

Oops. Just realized I queried about SE winds, excuse me, make that SWerlies. Other than that, my query still stands.
Sun May 14 18:18 2017 NZST

Still moored at Lord Howe Island, waiting for weather to head to New Caledonia. Looks like maybe we'll get it Thursday (18 May). Not a bad place at all to wait, though we're a little nervous about the low passing our way.

For a bunch of pictures of Lord Howe Island, see twoatsea.com.

I looked over your posts and didn't see any mention of the issues involved with it being open to the SE with only a fringing reef for protection. Questions I have (still, after reading your posts): 1) do the authorities force you to take a mooring? If so, how much is it per night. 2) Did you face any appreciably strong SE's during your stay? 3) Even if you didn't, what's your estimation of how a boat would fare in 40+ knot SE'erlies there?

I saw your comment where you said that you meant SW. I do that all the time. To try to answer your questions, the reef provides very good protection and the moorings are great (yes, there is no anchoring allowed - you must take a mooring). We did have winds 20 - 30 from the western quadrant and we were fine, though it did get bumpy and we rolled some at high tide. One thing to consider is that it's not always possible to get into or out of the pass in westerlies, or even with a big western quadrant swell. As I recall, the moorings are about $45 Aus/night and there's a $70 per person park fee as well. (Check online as I don't really recall the numbers.) It was soooo worth it! Lord Howe is a gem!

Great blogpost and pix guys! Lord Howe looks like a beautiful spot to chill for a bit after that passage. We're still in Whangarei, w/ some unexpected projects (new refrig, genset water pump, etc) after finally launching. Hope to be ready to head north in a week or so. Cheers!
Fri May 5 16:50 2017 NZST

My last few posts didn't seem to make it to the pages of YIT. That's a shame as they were very entertaining and beautifully written. They were pretty much all about how bad our passage sucked.

Oh well, we're in now, at a mooring in the lagoon at the amazing Lord Howe Island. Stunningly beautiful!

Thu May 4 17:18 2017 NZST
Run: 131.9nm (238.7km)
Avg: 5.5knts
24hr: 131.9nm

d: 04/05/17 15:00 AEST

Wed May 3 17:18 2017 NZST
Speed: 5.4knts
Run: 151.8nm (274.8km)
Avg: 6.1knts
24hr: 145.7nm
Weather
Weather: wind SSE 23, seas SSE 2m, cloud thin and about 70%, bar 1023

ECMWF, PWE, GFS and PWG: They might as well adorn the pages of Sports Illustrated wearing skimpy swimsuits because these models don't work for predicting weather! The wind for this entire passage has been significantly stronger than advertised. We've had 23 to 30 knots the entire time with the exception of a brief period last night. The swells have also been larger than advertised.
And don't get me started on current! Let's just get real and admit that humankind doesn't have the ability to predict ocean currents and those who say they can are nothing but this eras snake oil salesmen! We were supposed to have current with us now, but it's 2 knots against us.
All in all, this passage sucks!

Excellent! Your broccoli soufflé is falling as I write! Thinking of delaying our departure from Whangarei until the 13th, due to, WEATHER! Hang in there and send a photo of Lord Howe when you get there!

Excellent!
Tue May 2 16:18 2017 NZST
Speed: 6.2knts
Run: 204.2nm (369.6km)
Avg: 7.3knts
24hr: 176.2nm
Weather
Weather: wind NW 22, seas N 2m, cloud thin and about 100%, bar 1016

Rough! Fast! Rough! We'd sure trade some of our extra fast for a little smooth right now. Have I mentioned that I hate passages?! (Bound for Lord Howe Island - ETA Thursday before noon.)

Mon May 1 12:29 2017 NZST
Run: 10.9nm (19.7km)

Departed Sydney for Lord Howe, ETA Thursday noon or so.

We had a great time in Oz. Sad to be leaving.

Fair winds, guys". Hope to catch up later this season...
Sat Apr 15 18:22 2017 NZST
Run: 172.9nm (312.9km)
Avg: 4.8knts
24hr: 114.7nm

We're in Sydney, four days and change after leaving Stanley, Tasmania. Now we need to get over this passage and get ready to head for New Cal. Our Aussie visas expire in early May.

Excellent!
Fri Apr 14 6:11 2017 NZST
Run: 135.4nm (245.1km)
Avg: 6.1knts
24hr: 146nm

Still underway, and where she stops, nobody knows! Maybe we'll go all the way to Sydney but the thought of doing for a night sure it's tempting. I'll ask the boss when she wakes up. Those decisions are above my pay grade!

Thu Apr 13 7:55 2017 NZST
Run: 151.8nm (274.8km)
Avg: 6.4knts
24hr: 153.6nm

Good passage so far. We're about 40 mile from Gabo Island but will keep heading north as long as the weather cooperates. We're kind of hoping to get to Sydney. Two more nights at sea. I think we can do that!

Wed Apr 12 8:12 2017 NZST
Run: 131.8nm (238.6km)

Underway, bound for Eden from Stanley (or somewhere on that big island to our north!).

Wed Apr 5 17:52 2017 NZST
Run: 117.3nm (212.3km)
Avg: 2.5knts
24hr: 60.8nm

We're tied up in Stanley on the North coast of Tasmania. It's not where we set our to go. We we're heading for somewhere on the south coast of mainland Australia. Until half way into the 36 got boat ride, I'd never even heard of Stanley. Fortunately, Cyndi had. Our beautiful weather window slammed on us and now, here we sit.

Will probably be sitting here for up to a week. Oh well. Another town to explore!

I see two cars at the StanlySeaQuarium across the street from your dock.. Could one of them be yours?
Mon Apr 3 19:33 2017 NZST
Run: 16.7nm (30.2km)

Anchored Sunday night in Kelly Basin. Great walks through the ruins of an old town, as well as through this really pretty temperate rainforest.

Now we're back in Strahan (pronounced Strawn) getting ready to head up to the big island. We hope to make about a four day passage and end up somewhere around Eden as our visa time is running out and we've lingered too long in Tassie.

Sun Apr 2 0:00 2017 NZDT
Run: 34.1nm (61.7km)

We've had an amazing trip up the Gordon River, as far as Sir John Falls.

Mon Mar 27 18:44 2017 NZDT
Run: 94.8nm (171.6km)

We're in Macquarie Harbour. Made it here before the big blow that hit today. PredictWind called for gusts to 51 knots. I'm not sure we've seen quite that here, but it was really blowing. We're in a great spot, and at a mooring another wonderful Tasmanian offered us. These are truly great people here!

Thu Mar 23 21:30 2017 NZDT
Speed: 0 - anchoredknts
Run: 7.2nm (13km)

Moved pretty much as far as we can go in Bathurst Harbor after a stunning walk up the mountain next to last night's anchorage. This place is really beautiful. Sorry keep droning on about that, BUT IT IS!

Tue Mar 21 21:33 2017 NZDT
Speed: 0 - anchoredknts
Run: 45.4nm (82.2km)

We've been in Port Davey for a couple of days. Today was very eventful but you'll have to wait for us to get internet to read it in our blog where we'll confess all our sins. The short story is that all's good aboard Legacy! Port Davey is amazing.

Thu Mar 16 23:35 2017 NZDT
Run: 9.2nm (16.7km)

Slow day... Only two anchorages. We had a nice time in Dover. Great wine tasting at Imre.

Wed Mar 15 19:04 2017 NZDT
Run: 20.6nm (37.3km)

It was a four bay day today. Reasons: there were places we just wanted to get a look at, we wanted to make a little progress towards the bottom of the island (we're hoping to go around to Port Davey Saturday), and we wanted a good place to hide from tonight's front. All missions accomplished.

Tue Mar 14 10:13 2017 NZDT
Run: 16.5nm (29.9km)

Got out of Hobart yesterday after three wonderful weeks. We're heading south (slowly) and then (hopefully) up Tasmania's West coast.

Sun Feb 26 9:34 2017 NZDT

Legacy is tied up to Constitution Dock And we're exploring Hobart and getting some annoying boat chores ticked of the list. We're waiting for some parts from the US so we might be here another two weeks. No worries. We're loving Hobart and Con dock is a great place to be.

Sun Feb 19 19:53 2017 NZDT
Run: 25.5nm (46.2km)

We made it to Hobart today. Look out pizza, here we come!

Fri Feb 17 12:24 2017 NZDT
Run: 6.5nm (11.8km)

We finally pried ourselves loose from Port Arthur for the 20 some mile trip to a bay outside of Nubeena (I don't name the bay here as it has about seven different names - all depending on what chart you view). Now we're only about 30 miles from Hobart, but we think we'll stay here for a few days.

Wed Feb 8 12:07 2017 NZDT
Run: 33.2nm (60.1km)

We went much further than we'd planned to... all the way from Maria Island to Port Arthur. That even included a stop for a two hour walk in Pirate Bay (and two amazing lunches at Doo-licious - it was too good to only have one lunch!).

Now, we're anchored in a beautiful bay with no wind, despite the forecast 30 knots in the vicinity. Life in Tasmania is very good!

well you guys are certainly getting about ,,im pleased to hear you've finally got somewhere to moor without that pesky wind.im looking forward to your next destination. kindest regds neil

Hi Legacy. Keep spotting you on YIT often in the same vicinity as us. Assume you're off to the wooden boat festival as we are so may "spot" you for real!! You think you had a long day. We "hiked" it from Wineglass Bay to Barnes Bay hence, as you did, went further than expected but have to make the most of these short weather windows! Brian and Hilary Tear Yacht Taranui.
Mon Feb 6 23:18 2017 NZDT
Run: 38.6nm (69.9km)

After a beautiful stop in Cole's Bay, we've spent a few days now anchored at Maria Island. We had an amazing wildlife adventure up in Darlington with sightings of wallabies, kangaroos, wombats, Cape Barren geese, and even a Tanzanian devil!

gday to both of you,well its been a few days since i checked in with you entrepid yachties ,and i was wondering if you caught any fish yet? we were back in St helens last weekend and it blew like a shocker then on Sunday when we were leaving the water was like a mill pond ,,,its a conspiracy i say it happens everytime i want to leave,on a sunday so weve decided to go back this thursday and stay until next tuesday !!!!thatll trick the weather gods for sure, I saac goes back to university the week after so we thought we would take the time to go back as much as we could. News on the Jellyfish App is the update to ios has gone through and weve now been downloaded into 49 countries which im really happy with.So dont forget if you see any jellies along your travels please take a photo and i will post it on our website. stay safe enjoy the beautifull east coast and ill look forward to seeing your posts all the best Neil
Fri Feb 3 9:42 2017 NZDT
Run: 12.4nm (22.4km)

We're anchored off Swansea and it's not only a nice anchorage, but a nice little town. None of our guidebooks mention this place! We picked up some fuel yesterday (in jugs), had a nice walk and a good lunch. Life is good on Legacy.

Tue Jan 31 10:47 2017 NZDT
Run: 6.5nm (11.8km)

Anchored in Wineglass Bay. Pretty spot.

Sun Jan 29 23:44 2017 NZDT
Run: 65nm (117.7km)

We're hook down on the South tip of the Freycinet Peninsula. That's not where we thought we'd be tonight but in the great game of weather chess, the wind moved Queen to King's Rook 5 and Wineglass Bay was too rough to anchor. Oh well. It's not checkmate yet!

hi Rich and Cindy look at the bright side, you get to do some bottom fishing.If you dont have any fish for bait or squid then try a piece of raw chicken breast cut up small for the hooks.
Mon Jan 23 10:24 2017 NZDT
Run: 5.4nm (9.8km)

We're in St. Helen's, tied up at the wharf. We made it with only one bump on the bottom at Pelican Point. We just kind of bounced off and kept going.

Sun Jan 22 22:10 2017 NZDT
Run: 88.3nm (159.8km)

We made it. We're in Tasmania!

Tue Jan 17 13:04 2017 NZDT
Run: 151.9nm (274.9km)

We mostly across the Bass Strait, anchored at Prime Seal Island just of Flinders Island. It was a nice motorboat ride last night.

Sun Jan 8 14:49 2017 NZDT
Run: 6.8nm (12.3km)

We're tired up at Lakes Entrance, waiting for weather to head south. It could be a week or more in coming. Who cares? It's nice here.

Thu Jan 5 17:57 2017 NZDT
Run: 6.4nm (11.6km)

We're in the tiny holiday town of Matung. Dinner tonight at the yacht club then off to explore more of Gippsland lakes.

Tue Jan 3 16:00 2017 NZDT
Run: 4nm (7.2km)

We just took a trip up a channel where our depth sounder read 3.5 feet at times. Neat trick since we draw 7 feet! Either it was a miracle or it was reading grass.

Legacy - Still in Suva

We're still in Suva, but we have a plan. We are hoping to leave for New Caledonia on Wednesday. From there, Nelson or somewhere in Australia, who knows. -Rich

Legacy - Sitting in Suva

Cyndi and I are sitting in Suva, waiting for weather to sail to Nelson, NZ. You can find out more about what we're up to on our blog at www.twoatsea.com.